Christened the 17 HMR! Brilliant outing

Lloyd90

Was in the house today, just got in from work when I had a text off Redthunder on here "Lamping 2nite?"

I thought too right! Had zero'd the new 17 HMR a few days earlier and was jumping for an opportunity to get out.

We arrange time and all and tried to contact BOTCH but to no avail :look: so in the end just had to go without him.

Red picked me up from mine where I was waiting gear in hand, he told me he'd left his 243 in the house as I had the 17 as I had been asking him to take me rabbiting :lol:

We headed up to a farm and I jumped out to open up the gates as we went in, once we had a good position we were about 60 yards away from a hedge row, looking down onto the rabbits, Red pulled up so I could rest on his wing mirror and got the lamp just off then rabbit "When your ready he told me!"

"Ready" I said as he moved the lamp onto the rabbit, I placed the crosshairs over him and stuck it right on his head "CRACK" the 17 went off and smacked the rabbit right in the side of the head :w00t::lol: My first kill! We went up and I grabbed the rabbit, there was a good clean hole about 3/4" in the side of his head, he was still kicking a bit as I approached, I know they kick after dead but I couldn't see the hole in his head when I approached so I stepped on his head (Aren't I Nice :D ) to make sure :lol: Felt a little guilty as I picked him up and he was still kicking :sad1: but I knew it was just the nerves and it couldn't feel anything!

Then we pulled up a bit further and spotted another, I aimed on this one but he was moving along, he stopped and I placed the crosshair on his head "CRACK"! The round nailed him!

If I thought the kicking of the first one was bad then this one was going for the 2012 Olympics, he was flipping and jumping a few feet in the air :w00t:

We were then looking out for more rabbits when Red makes a brilliant stop "CHARLIE" he says, I bring the gun up and he shine's on the bushes in the hedgerow, I can see his eyes glowing and make out 1 red eye, I crank the scope up to x16 and get it on him head, 50 yards away, easy for a 17HMR headshot. I think I can make out his face but Red tells to wait and make sure its definately a fox just incase, I didn't take the shot and the fox scrambed :oops: But we'll just have to get him next time.

As we've been creeping up to get a better view of charlie we're now about 40 yards out, I take another shot at a rabbit but it just skims his head :oops: He darts left, then right but stops dead In my crosshairs. I slam the bolt back and out fling's the empty case then I push it forwards firms so I can quickly get the shot, and then it happens. Failure to feed :oops::lol: Just my luck haha! The rabbit then proceed's to jump into the bushes just as I manage to fiddle around and get the round to chamber :lol:

I then swap over to the lamp and Red has a crack at a rabbit, same problemo, the round skims over his head and he darts into the bushes, Zero'd @ 75-85 yards so were just a little close. Drove around for a bit checking out some field's then decided to call it a night.

End total, 2 lucky rabbits, 1 very lucky fox and 2 not so lucky rabbits :lol: Sorry I didn't get any pics :( But this seems to be the place to post the good stories. I skinned and gutted the rabbits as soon as I got in! :good: Not bad at all, pretty much the same as when I did some pheasants back when I went beating :good: Got them all done now and chucked in the fridge, will have to have a gander in the recipes section now :good: Awesome night out! Big thanks to BAP for taking me on his permission, mine seems a bit barren :oops: Had a brilliant time and finally got the 17 christened :lol:

Edited by Bigthug87

Thug, sorry i didnt come out that nite had my fone off as you know :yay: but as iv`e siad b4 you must, as red made u do :yay::yay: identify your quarry properly b4 pulling that trigger. :balloon: well done mate on popping ur cherry with the 17 :yay::drinks: we`ll go out n av a proper bag soon :/:birthday: