The question is - - - - - - -

seisobs

I work beside Filipino's, Malasians and Indonesians.

They are always asking to see my pigeon and crow shooting pics as they have none or very very little crows / pigeons in their countries, most have been shot and eaten, infact in the Philippines you won't see a crow.

Question is, looking at the history of the bags of pigeons being shot in our country, will we ever get to the stage where there are none or very little of these birds left? :good:

Edited by seisobs

I think that there are more woodpigeons about now than I can ever remember.

Unless there is some fatal disease (and it won't be manmade, unlike myxomatosis), I think the population will continue to grow.

Their breeding season has been extended due to our milder climate and they are never short of a food supply.

The conditions are perfect for them.

The answer to you question Seisobs is yes it is possible to run out of wood pigeons , but its very unlikely at the present harvesting levels. In the USA there were 100s of millions of passenger pigeons . Yet within 70 years of market hunting and habitat destruction they had been exterminated. The same goes for eskimo curlews slaughtered by the ton for urban markets . Today nobody knows for sure if there any left.

But market gunning is rare in the UK and most people shoot pigeons for sport. The area of land shot is usualy restrected to a handful of shooters so the pressure on the birds is not that high. In addition if the unthinkable happened and they became rare wood pigeons would become protected under law before they dropped to low population levels.