Pigeon thief

Neels

i agree with TC on this do they hell need controling it work out in natural selection there numbers have ARE Going UP and study shows that were a big number of song birds live sparrow-hAWK SURVIVE QUITE WELL AND THE NUMBERS KEEP STABLE IF U THINK ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF YOUNGE SONG BIRDS HAVE THEN IT WORKS OUT QUITE GOOD

Stunning photos!!! :lol::lol::lol: Never seen one quite so close and in such detail. :good::hmm::P

I used to regulary get a Sparrowhawk in my garden which oddly used to lay and wait inside my bamboos until birds came down to feed then it would shoot out and attack.First time it happened-it didnt half make me jump cos i didnt even know it was in there!

female sparrow hawks will take pigeons at will my old mans racers are proof of that it said that sparrowhawks eat 2500000 protected song bird per day and they are on the increase like all predators people will start seeing them more and more as they start to venture into gardens etc in search of food they might look nice but they need controlling if we want our song birds to remain

That figure has to be wrong !! 2 and a half million A DAY !!!

It would wipe out all birds in britain in a very short time.

I know they take racers as my pal loses about 15 a year to them but there is little he can do to stop it.

Uncanny, i saw only my 2nd sparrowhawk on tuesday morning, around 50 yrds away at the top of my close, in the middle of killing a Woody....feathers everywhere. Pointed the unfolding event out to my wife who didn't appear that interested!!! ive never seen one around the area and although slighty unpleasant, it made fascinating watching.

I will shoot Woodies, Rabbits, or anything i am legally allowed to shoot TC, given the oppurtunity. You are quite right it is nature in full effect, with me being a new forum member i was perhaps being more PC than neccesary. Though as happy as i would be to shoot a woodie, i couldn't help feel slighty sorry for it as it was slowly torn to shreds whilst still alive over a 20 min period. I must be going soft in my old age!! :lol:

Great piccies - my mate shot a woddie the other day which landed 18 inches away from my hide I then shot another one 5 second later which landed next to it and at that point a Sparrow Hawk hit the woddie on the ground - amazing sight - I saw it perching in a large oak tree about 75 yards behind us - must have been sat there waiting for us to sort some food out for it

We get more sparrowhawks than pigeons - If you get 10 or more woodies anywhere near us, look for the one at the top that ain't moving - That's the bleedin' sparrowhawk.

Pain in the chuff (but quite nice to see all the same)

I think you are mixing a sparrow hawk and a kestrel up.Kestrels float about hovering now and again while hunting as opposed to a sparrow hawk which comes in like a jet on a low altitude bombing run,blink and you miss it.They quite often come from behind and strike,decapitating the target bird because they are going so fast.

Lovely pics, we quite often see a couple of buzzards circling the fav pigeon sitty tree in a wood we decoy on the edge of, usually a third soaring about too, they are so regular now, we are moving to another shoot tomorrow, as the pigeons are not landing at all and have moved the last 3 times we have been there...we shot a grand total of......Nowt

The Buzzards are there still though staking it out :)

I think the 2500000 estimated birds lost was supposed to be 250, 000 a day i would still say that was a bit too high

Edited by evilstoat