A few lambs saved last night.

sussex lad

Popped up a local Estate last night with Rob.

They had started lambing 3 days ago so it was time to see if the local fox population had worked this out yet?

We arrived early so we could check zeros, because we both had new batches of reloads.

A few clicks and we were done both rifles zeroed.

We waited until dark and started our patrol. Within the first 20 mins we accounted for a good few rabbits.

Until we apporached a very rough piece of land, i think it may have been bombed during the war as its just a mass of craters.

When a pair of eyes were spotted pearing out of the closest hole.

Rob switched rifles and we moved closer following the fox through the mass of craters as it darted fom one to another.

Finaly it reappered no more than 30 yards away, Rob threw his rifle to his shoulder and let a shot go, it went down for a second but then was up and moving towards us so another shot went its way but it was now less tha 20 yards away Rob missed the dirt kicked up under it....(High power, parrelax adjustable scopes dont work for ultra close range foxing)

He racked again but was empty... so he grabbed the .22 which in the gun rack behind him and instantly put a round into its head.

Heart pounding but number 1 dead.(BTM fox)

The first shot had gone low through the bottom of the chest and smashing its legs up.

Rob was pretty gutted but he had finished the job without panicking and in less than 10-15 seconds.

He's pretty new to foxing still, i reminded him these thing do happen but he had handled perfectly.

We moved onto were the ewes where lambing, the first few lapps showed nothing.

We had a coffee and went off again, this time as we approched the far boundry. There was a fox working its way along the fence.

It was still 200 yards away and it didnt seed bothered by the lamp so we moved in.

We made up 50-70 yards and lamped it again, this time it didnt like it and started looking for a way through the fence.Its was running up and down until it found a way through.

It stopped to squeeze through a tiny gap just long enough for me to send 1 its way from my 6.5.

Its was a texas heart shot, the round entered the back end and exited under the throat!!! (MIDDLE fox)

Anther coffee break was had and started our rounds again until we came back to the field were number 2 was taken already another was watching a ewe and its twins.

We moved in on it, but it moved behind a tree protecter fence thingy and sat behind it....

It wouldnt moved for calls, for 10mins we watched it untill something caught its eye and it stepped out and sat down facing away from us at 140 yards. It got the good news between the shoulder blades (TOP fox)

Number 3 dead and hopefully a few lambs saved tonite..

DSC00124.jpg

It was 2am so we headed off home feeling rather pleased with our evening out.

Top stuff, i do know what a 'texas heart shot' is but i don't understand why would someone kindly explain this to me? ahha

It was the only shot open to me and when a 120grn ballistic tip from a 6.5x55 hits you at 150 yards, you arent going any where....

As i wrote in the post, it entered the back end and emptied the chest out the front end :good:

Its probably not a shot i would have taken with my .223, the 6.5 is a whole different beast!!!!

It was the only shot open to me and when a 120grn ballistic tip from a 6.5x55 hits you at 150 yards, you arent going any where....

As i wrote in the post, it entered the back end and emptied the chest out the front end :lol:

Its probably not a shot i would have taken with my .223, the 6.5 is a whole different beast!!!!

:rolleyes:

No such thing as "overkill" when it comes to foxing, well done lads :lol: