couple of bucks

billyo

Just out of interest, why do you say that about the larder skills? do you mean he hasn't cut the legs at the flat joint?

Just curios....

Gixer... Firstly let me say to Billyo, well done again for a nice animal. All we are trying to say is its always possible to improve on your preparation and presentation of a carcass. Yes the legs do seem to have been dealt with in a hurry? You can remove the legs with a good sharp knife, just feel around the central joint area with the end of your thumb and you will find a soft depression mid-way down, this is called the Occipital Joint, just carefuly slice AROUND this area with your knife and you will feel it release and some clear fluid will come out,now put the joint area across your forearm and apply firm pressure downwards to "break" the joint, now just twist the lower leg and cut any vestige of fur /flesh away and you will have a perfect leg cut with no saw needed. It sounds a bit involved first off but honestly after you have done it a few times it will become second nature.

Fallowbuck, that is what i meant by the flat joint, I normally do as you say by finding the indentation with my thumb then cut all the way around the skin (but usually the joint is a little higher) and there is a "flat joint" (occipital) which can usually be opened with a knife and broken apart...

Just wondered what the guys meant by the larder standards....

Thanks for the info...

if you look closer the ones in the picture havent...before i hang any beast i skin the knuckle back a bit befor hanging it saves the fiddley going round a hook or bit of twine ..the guilty i refered to was where they had been hung...it might not be the most hyginic place but it works for me... :hmm: and as far as selling a beast with a cut tendon goes price wise...if a dealer tried that one..id be looking for another dealer :D

Well thats the point of using the Occipital joint method, you get a nice clean joint with the tendons intact.By the way , the best method is to hang them up from the hind legs on a gambrel, through a hole between the tendon and hind leg.Another tip , if you are going to sell them ,is to leave the head on until you go to the dealers as it stops the neck curling up.

what are you a beautition ..lol...curled up straight tied in a knot they'll still take them at the same price....i wish youd think before you typed... and stop assuming and i really dont know why i have to explain meself to you but i will...when i take any deer they hang there till i can take them to the chill and sort them properly at the estate, where all the proper equipment is to hand..i do this for work not fun so i have gleaned a wee tad of knowledge over the years..... tho im never perfect like some :D ..lol..if i post pictures there usualy in the field or when i get the animals back home..im not out to win prizes :hmm:...but anyway..thanks for the advice..lol..

Edited by billyo

what are you a beautition ..lol...curled up straight tied in a knot they'll still take them at the same price....i wish youd think before you typed... and stop assuming and i really dont know why i have to explain meself to you but i will...when i take any deer they hang there till i can take them to the chill and sort them properly at the estate, where all the proper equipment is to hand..i do this for work not fun so i have gleaned a wee tad of knowledge over the years..... tho im never perfect like some :D ..lol..if i post pictures there usualy in the field or when i get the animals back home..im not out to win prizes :hmm:...but anyway..thanks for the advice..lol..

Sorry billyo if i have this wrong but even with the minimum you can still present to a good stantard. If you have years of experiance then cool but if its self taught or by someone else with little knowledge you aint going to lean much & it aint hard.

I skin on a cradle easyer than hung up trust me.once i have freed off the legs & sides i hang to pull off down it back & neck.

As for the beast hung up chest on it looks a mess to mewith half the skin down the sides of its ribs off did you use a chainsaw?. Theres nowt wrong with taken pride in it & lardering is really basic when you get to grip with it. On the estates up here you wouldent get near anymore deer with that kinda work.

Im sorry & it aint just aimed at you its just that i hate seeing deer like that sorry. When hung up i like it clean & a staight line from pelvic to klavical at front here is a pic of mine. I personally dont bother with the head on over night but do it with reds as headkeeper demandid it.

Picture894-1.jpg.

what are you a beautition ..lol...curled up straight tied in a knot they'll still take them at the same price....i wish youd think before you typed... and stop assuming and i really dont know why i have to explain meself to you but i will...when i take any deer they hang there till i can take them to the chill and sort them properly at the estate, where all the proper equipment is to hand..i do this for work not fun so i have gleaned a wee tad of knowledge over the years..... tho im never perfect like some :good: ..lol..if i post pictures there usualy in the field or when i get the animals back home..im not out to win prizes :no:...but anyway..thanks for the advice..lol..
Oh "deer" what was given was constructive advice, unfortunately some are unable to take that! As V-max has said with that standard of "Lardering" you wouldn't get near a genuine Estate chiller!Grow up and learn to accept we can all make mistakes. No one is perfect and I am still learning after over 30 years of shooting and stalking! :good:

bits of water pipe serve a great use as chest spreaders. the majority of larders i have seen use them

....but that doesn`t mean they are hygienic ? Years ago a suitable length of stick was OK. Stainless steel or something that can be sterilised is the correct procedure I would imagine :no:

Oh "deer" what was given was constructive advice, unfortunately some are unable to take that! As V-max has said with that standard of "Lardering" you wouldn't get near a genuine Estate chiller!Grow up and learn to accept we can all make mistakes. No one is perfect and I am still learning after over 30 years of shooting and stalking! :good:

i think the mistake that was made here was by you and v max looking at the picture and mistakingly thinking the legs had not been cut at the flat joint... anyway like you say we can all make mistakes...and fones cams dont show very clear pictures...so i'll give you that one....and after working for 2 estates and private private woodland owners over the years and working in larders under inspection iv not had any complaints...other than people like your good self looking at a foto and assuming :good: ...what i can accept is ..i need a better camera... :no: and you and v max can inspect the animals more closley...lol.. :yay:

Edited by billyo

Like I said no one was criticising for the sake of posturing or appearing "Holier Than Thou". If you are that experienced in stalking/shooting matters all well and good but I think you should realise that if you post something on a internet site like this ,it will come under scrutiny, so its best to double check its all correct before you post it.

Am cuerious as to why you do not remove the hide from the deer right away after hanging. It is easier to remove before the animal gets cold. It also allows the body heat to escape the carcuss faster, making for better meat.