Jammiing auto

Buzzer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. They turned up with 8 shot pump-action Brownings(it was legal then).

When did it become ilegal, I didnt know that.

I have shot rem 1100's for years, swore by them, truth be known they are not the most reliable semi auto's in the world.

The benelli without a doubt is the top brand name, interestingly that they are owned by berreta, yet their guns are dearer than their parent company.

I had a customer (a keeper) that had his benelli freeze on him whilst he lay it down during his trap checking duties.

It was a very inexpensive cure to get it back up and running,

new tube and spring which is housed in the stock, easily repaired.

I would advise anyone who has a benelli to strip the rifle to gain access to this tube, take the spring out of the tube and attack it with some vaseline, there is a hole in the bottom of the tube which can gather moisture, it has to be there for the next cartridge to be cycled.

I spoke to the staff at Beechwood equipment, who were having a meeting with the benelli rep, they were going to bring up this point with them.

I know another keeper that has a super 90, 11 shot he said he has only cleaned it 4 times in 10 years ( suspect).

cheers

Your post was unclear regarding the 8 shot pump, I am well aware of the restrictions placed after hungerford, You just sayed he had an 8 shot before they were banned, not before they were restricted, as I have a section 1 semi auto on my ticket.

Regarding your question cranfield, I aquired an account from beechwood equipment as I was asked on more than one ocasion to price benelli shotguns for customers ( mostly keepers), on reading the bumf that I got, it clearly states that benelli is a member of the beretta group, could be my ignorance putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5.

will check tomorrow and update you.

. They turned up with 8 shot pump-action Brownings(it was legal then).

When did it become illegal, I didnt know that.

Since 1987(I think) you have had to have a F.A.C. for any shotgun over 3 shots. Perhaps it was just autos then, but pumps followed.

If you get an F.A.C. 3+ shot for pest control, you won't be able to use it for duck.

Do you know anyone who has been granted an F.A.C. for a large magazine shotgun to shoot wildfowl?

Just a thought on the legal side of things for those of you using semi autos, don't forget that it is an offence to use one to shoot anything other than pest species. It is ilegal to shoot game and wildfowl with a semi.

Personally I use an old Browning B 80 for most of my shooting. Every once in a while the slide gets a bit sticky and I give it a good clean, other than that I have never had a problem with it.

I humbly apolagise and stand corected, as the letter of the law states, only for vermin.

As you will know the goose shooting comes to a close, on the 1st of feb, yet I have shot geese under an extended close season License ( into March ), as they were described as vermin dew to the damage to crops.

I quote from the home ofice police guidelines

"The term vermin is not defined in law, but it may include destructive species that cause damage to crops"

Cheers for putting me in my place, once again, how else do we learn, if not by others.

Regards

Ian

Afternoon all

I never got a chance to try my auto today.Went out this morning hopeing for a good days pigeon shooting and to try auto out, but there wasnt any large numbers of pigeon about, after 4 hours of driving around in my scoby do, i found some! then about 10mins later the sky opend up and dumped its load on Hampshire! :evil:  hopeing to try again tomorrow,

all the best

Buzzer

[i humbly apolagise and stand corected, as the letter of the law states, only for vermin.

As you will know the goose shooting comes to a close, on the 1st of feb, QUOTE]

Raynard  it may come to a close in your area but every where esle in UK it closes on Jan 31 unless you are below high water mark then it's Feb 20,,,  (Game shooting finishes Feb 1)

[since 1987(I think) you have had to have a F.A.C. for any shotgun over 3 shots. Perhaps it was just autos then, but pumps followed.

If you get an F.A.C. 3+ shot for pest control, you won't be able to use it for duck.

Do you know anyone who has been granted an F.A.C. for a large magazine shotgun to shoot wildfowl? QUOTE]

Always thought as long as you only put 3 in 2 in reciever and  1 up spout it was OK

As I said skuta, I shot them out of season, so sorry for the day late, looks like this forum is getting to the stage where you have to check what you say before you say it.

I will do that in the future.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, apreciate it,

wonder which forum pigeon pieman was going too (hehe)

cheers

:) I am intrigued when Quercus says that all semi-autos are illegal for shooting game.

As I normally only shoot pigeon and the odd rabbit it doesn,t really concern me but is it really illegal with a 3 shot or is he just referring to a multi?

Also on my 391 there is a rod supplied that can be inserted before fitting the fore- end and this restricts the gun to a two shot only.Would this still be illegal on game if I fitted it?

If so ,why,when I would be limited to 2 shots the same as an O/U or a S/S. :)  :*)

Do you know anyone who has been granted an F.A.C. for a large magazine shotgun to shoot wildfowl? QUOTE]

I dont know anyone personaly but people do use a section 1 to shoot geese in this country, as long as it is done under licence issued by DEFRA or in the case of Scotland SEERAD.

Interestingly under this section relates to game licence's,

To quote

"A game licence is needed to kill, take or pursue game and deer on unenclosed land. Game for these purposes is :hares, pheasants, partridges, grouse, heath or moor game, black game, woodcock, RABBIT and snipe", unquote

So there it is rabbit is classed as game less this is a home ofice missprint.

cheers

Always thought as long as you only put 3 in 2 in reciever and  1 up spout it was OK

Have a look at your F.A.C. conditions. Does it say you can use it for anything other than pest/vermin control.

Remember that the police are not allways the best source of information. Most of them are only on a par with the bottom layer of industrial workers, but they have the system on their side, and are programmed to take any gun they can, out of circulation.

Semi-autos over 3 shot were banned for wildfowl shooting in 1987, I think. I think that is why Remington brought out a 3 shot auto called the 11/87!

Pump-actions over 3 shot were not banned for wildfowl at the same time, from what I remember.

I can't remember if 3+ shots (Pumps and semi-autos)had to be put on F.A.C.s at that time.

I am pretty sure that it is still OK to use a repeater with a magazine capacity restricted to 2 for shooting anything. If it wasn't, then Browning would have started making their old 2 shot semi-auto again, I'm sure.

For over 30 years, I have been a trustee for a BASC club shooting on and around a privately owned stretch of water, over which the public have rights of navigation, so I try to keep up-to-date.

Reynard895, don't worry about making mistakes. It's the most efficient way to learn. There are a lot of youngsters reading these posts though, so we don't want them misguided into breaking the law and losing their right to own or use a gun.

If we can learn from other peoples' mistakes, so much the better

Perhaps the next legal point could be the use of stoked up 22/250s with a high muzzle energy for shooting deer. That though, will have to be transfered to another topic!!!

ernyha, its the self loading aspect that make semi autos illegal not the magazine capacity. Pumps are not self loading and so there are no restrictions on quarry.

When I said "pest" maybe I should have been more specific. Semi autos are liscenced for use on species listed on Schedule 2 Part 2 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act, use on any other species would require a further liscence.

Species listed are: crow, collared dove,great black-backed gull, lesser black-backed gull, herring gull, jackdaw, jay, magpie, feral pigeon, rook, house sparrow, starling and wood pigeon.

reynard, rabbits are classed as game under some legislation and not others. There are so many exemptions for the need for a game liscence to take rabbits that unless you are on the ground without permission you are unlikely to fall fowl of the law.

reynard, rabbits are classed as game under some legislation and not others. There are so many exemptions for the need for a game liscence to take rabbits that unless you are on the ground without permission you are unlikely to fall fowl of the law.

would be interested to hear more about the hot 22.250's, what do you class as hot, 40g heads or 80g heads,

look forward to your reply, would be nice if we could get the chat room up and running, and get a bit banter going.

cheers for clearing things up for me

I hear what you are saying, I was quoting from the home ofice guidlines to all UK police forces.

I agree in what you say, I think that any species if doing damage to crops can posibly be classed as vermin.

I always thought they were classed as vermin, but as I said in an earlier quote if you are caught in Scotland poching and you have rabbits, they become game.

Morning chaps,

Just going back to the problem of my jaming auto to let you know that it is still jaming with 70mm 32g cartrides, i would still like to use an auto and looking through an old copy of Sporting Gun and found a write up on a Benelli Crio, does any body use one of these, are they relible i see that this gun is a non gas operated auto, any veiws on this gun??  :)

All the best

Buzzer

Buzzer, have you had the gun examined by a competent gunsmith? There has to be a reason for the malfunction and it might turn out to be something quite small. As has been said before you shouldn't have to search for a cartridge that suits your gun. Has the gun done this since you bought it or is it a recent problem?

Quercus,

The gun has always played me up with this problem, also had a broken fireing pin not long ago, i have had it looked at by a gun smith and no problem was found?? :)

Cheers

Buzzer

I would say that the Benelli range is the most reliable SA.

But then I own one and am extreamly biased in their favor.

If I could not have a Benelli I would stick to double shotguns.

However there is one weekness: the bolt return spring is not stainless and if you get salt water in it it can rust. I have heard that wildefowlers in the states replace them with stainless springs.