Thoughts in Firearms Certificate

Hi there

am in the process of applying for a firearms certificate. I have approximately 10 farms who will give me written permission however i am wondering if, on your licence, you can apply to roam. Ie To shoot where permission is granted and it is safe to do so? Are there any restrictions / thoughts on this?! Cheers

Have also just purchased a laurona 12g over and under non ejector 3" mag. Will be a few years old but just wonder if anyone had any thoughts on it? Or advice as to if it will be a sound purchase! Only cost £100.

Cheers

I hear differing responses on this, my friend applied and immediately got an open certificate, whereas my cousin who has several rifles upto 243 etc says it will take 5 years?!

Well, i can only see i suppose!

Thanks very much for your advice, much appreciated

You will get differing responses because there is no set rule. Most forces like to see some experience before allowing your certificate to be opened. Others (often in more rural areas) will even give you it open when they grant it because there is just so much ground to cover for the man power they just can't do it!

When I applied for my FAC I was told it wouldn't be opened for several years. I kept nagging and shot lots of ammo and eventually they said they wanted to see 5 permissions, then they would open it. So five permission letters went in and it was done (with a little grumbling, I don't think they thought I could get that number together so quickly!).

Run it past your FEO. Tell them you have new shooting permissions popping up all the time and it will be a real pain if it isn't open because you'll have to get it all checked before you can shoot. See what they say to that. Don't mention you already have 10 places to shoot (unless you already have) and save five of them as backup for now. Give them 5 and say there will be more to come. If they open it (there's a chance they will) then great. But if not give them another permission each time they've been out and passed one, one at a time. After having to come out 5 times I'd be surprised if they don't open it because they've had enough of being dragged out of the office! You don't pay for extra checks on ground so make them work a bit if they wont play ball!

The way i got round mine was by telling them that i had new permissions all the time and knowing how busy they were i would feel bad having to keep ringing them up every 5 mins and using up their valuble time to keep clearing my permissions. I was told the general rule down here was 5 years as we have the most amount of firearms out of yorkshire! I had an open ticket as well as a .308 within 6 months of getting my first rim fire!!! If you dont ask you dont get!

Thats excellent advice guys, i will work on 5 permissions then keep adding more. Another good thing is that i live an hour away from where my permissions are........sometimes even further. I am from cumbria but work and live in newcastle. Its only an hours drive so i do this every week, and i have a couple of permissions in the north east. Suppose this would really make them work for their money!

Good plan guys!

Another question, would you advise printing out a template letter for people to sign for permission? Then it keeps everything neat, while keeping the work someone has to do for me to sign to a minimum?

Thanks a lot guys, have never really been on here much but the advice is excellent.........and response on the laureta?

Any other shooters in the north east here?

Laureta? Is that a Beretta/Laurona hybrid? :lol:

It should be a fine gun. They're built fairly well.

Your FEO isn't going to travel to check your permission, they will pass it on to the local force who will check it and let them know the details. Pity really, it would be nice to make them drive all the way there once a month :good:

i have heard of people getting a open ticket on there first.fac

:oops: I did :yes: Mind I had shot rifles before, but it was twenty odd years ago.

I have no conditions on my certificate apart from one saying I can only use my 6.5 for culling deer and foxes.

Does land not have to be cleared for use with a centrefire rifle? Unless it has been shot over with a CF before of course?

ft

when i first applied, many years ago, my license had named land on it, however after the first renewal it was unrestricted without me asking. but back to the point, i gave a friend of mine a letter to deer stalk by invitation for his first application to add to his other letter and his certificate was issued without restriction.