Is my permission worth it?

Cubix is right: it's just about compromise. I have various rules to abide by on my permissions, and I set some rules for those on our own land (ramblers are fair game etc). I would cling on to your permission, 'crowbasher. It hardly sounds that it demands a lot of your time. The 'farmer' (clearly not a farmer or a countryman) cannot be at all popular with neighbouring farmers, if his land harbours so many rabbits - he's the one giving himself a bad name, not you.

Hi All. Just to clarify that I also shoot ont this land and the land owner can be incredibly difficult.

One minute he is going on about how he needs to cull the amount of tree rats and crows, but in the next breath he is

Moaning about the noise etc etc.

We have never used the shot guns before about 8.30 and he was fully aware we would be using then days in advance of us going!

I suspect that he realises he needs some form of vermin control, but when it is controlled he feels bad about it so all he can moan

About is the noise and uses this as a way of getting us to stop.

We have never been ditrespectful to him and even offered to help his son who now lives just round the corner from us.

I totally understand that permissions are hard to come by but when your spending over an hour driving to the land to then be told after 10-15 minutes

That the guns are too noisey is a little annoying!!

:wub:

I was about to say 'walk away' but this is sound diplomatic advice. Keeps your options open.

He sounds a little unusual.... however there is still an opportunity here. If he doesn't want noise but still wants 'select' pests removing then get him to sign you off for FAC air or rimfire and get your FAC application in! :wub:

Just a thought, but have you thought of a hushpower? A couple of my mates had their guns done and they do make a difference? Might be a good compromise?

I would go with these.....Baldrik said may cause a problem with neighbouring farmers. Might be worth trying them for permission.

I dont know if i am missing the point here but does'nt he have a legal obligation to control the number of rabbits on his land

"An Order has been made under Section 1 of the Pests Act 1954 by which England and Wales (except for the City of London, the Isles of Scilly and Skokholm Island) have been designated a Rabbit Clearance Area. In this area, every occupier of land is responsible for the killing or taking of wild rabbits on his land. Where it is not reasonably practical to destroy the rabbits, occupiers must take the necessary steps to prevent them causing damage. Under section 98 of the Agricultural Act 1947, Defra has the power to serve a Notice under the Agriculture Act 1947, requiring rabbit control to be carried out; if this is not done, they may arrange for the necessary work to be undertaken at the expense of the occupier, who could also be liable to a fine."

Apologies if as a newbie i missed something.

This is probably the way to go if you never want to shoot there again :wub::wub: respect his rules and offer alternatives air rifle, hushpower there's been loads of good suggestions, the best way is to talk to him and find out what he wants to do, take Harsners advice and tell him to call you when he wants his vermin controlled.

There is no point what so ever just walking away that juat means you loose the future opitunity of the ground, it may look pretty bad at the moment but lets face the facts i started shooting a horse paddock and now because of the orininal farmer puttin a few good words in ears iv now got over 3000 acres to do what ever i like on

Permission is hard to come by nowadays, which is what i meant when i said i'd have it if you didn't want it. Unless you have thousands of acres available i'd keep him sweet, honour his wishes and get yourself a nice little moderated .22. He won't even know you're there. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a FAC on 500+ acres of woodland. If you only use the permission to get your FAC and a reference for other shoots its worth having.

Edited by JR1960

I need some advice I have a permission In sussex its 550 acres mainly woods and open fields but sadly know crops the landowner only lets us shoot crows,squirrels,jays and magpies and a pheasant in season but he likes the pigeons and rabbits that are overunning his permission so know go there and trust me i have tried. I always let him know when I am going and what and where I will be shooting I always go for a chat and offer help around the property and of course respect him and his land.I set up this morning had 2 crows in 10 minutes hide and deeks working perfectly he then rang me and told me all the banging was not good and to get off the land as I was giving him a bad name I was a mile from his property and as said he knew I was there and that I was using a shotgun so where do i go from here :rolleyes:

Those words he used :yes: does that already mean that you have been refused to shoot on his land :D "GET OFF THE LAND" ?

not read all the posts about this have you considered using a hushpower type of shotgun at least there will be some kind of compromise only trouble is it will hit you hardest in the pocket but its better than not having anywhere to shoot hope this helps :hmm:

Even then I don't think he would be happy. It is so frustrating walking over these 550 acres

Not being able shoot what you would normally be able to, and then when we finally do get into the crows for example over a mile from his hime he throws

A wobbly..

I've had enough so am going to try the local farmers adjoing his land and see what they have..