HELP ANYONE ???

I have .223 on my ticket for Vermin under Kent police but cannot shot foxes which begs the question what "vermin" can i shoot with a .223, would anyone happen to know what a .223 FMJ does to a rabbit? i doubt there will be enough to sell. Yet some forces say Foxes come under vermin.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a .223 on my ticket for a while and it said fox, vermin and legal deer. It then went on with a load of blurb about muntjac and cwd and the calibres and MV etc.

I changed that slot for a .17HMR and it states vermin and ground game. I assume from that I cannot legally shoot a fox, not that is an issue as I have only ever seen one on my permission and the farmer asked us not to shoot them anyway.

There seems to be a lot of confusion around the country as to what ‘Vermin’ is and whether Fox is classed as vermin or not in certain areas.

There is, and always has been, a great deal of 'Interpretation' applied to firearm licensing and conditions by various forces. Most of which has been allowed to develop unchecked either by Central Government or national groups like BASC and the Countryside Alliance. This has led to confusion over the definitions applied to many aspects of the legislation and is constantly fuelled by the varying opinions of the many Chief Constables involved.

Until BASC, the CA or some other interested body with enough clout to represent the shooting community, make in-roads with ACPO to streamline and unify the legislation and conditions commonly applied to FAC's, each individual is best advised to seek confirmation (In writing) from their local FLD and/or the FLD that controls the area in which they intend to shoot. This way they will not fall foul of 'Local' interpretations.

Just because one person is able to do something in one area, it does not automatically follow that you can do the same in another. As may be seen by a recent post on this forum, regarding the house move from one Police area to another by a licensed FAC holder, even trying to do things the right way and provide adequate notification, still gave rise to many complications because of varying opinions.

If in doubt, check it out!

it is made out to be a horrific breach of your conditions if you were to shoot a fox under a vermin condition, yet like a lot of things with firearms licensing the rules are left decidedly murky. Personally I wouldn't imagine a prosecution would be in order if you were picked up with a fox and convicted of shooting it and claimed it was vermin as by the dictionary definition it is. We're not mind readers and don't know everything and the fact certain forces like mine include foxes as vermin would make the odds of a prosecution even less likely. I know the know alls will make it out to be as bad as kiddie fiddling but until forces sing from the same hymn sheet and actually spell out what you can and can't do there is space to use your own interpretation with the educated reasoning that you've got to get pulled having actually shot a fox, by plod who knows what they are doing firearms law wise and also want to cause you hastle by picking through small print and stand up in court and argue that a fox isn't vermin.

Personally i think a lot of laws are left open to a bit of interpretation to give all concerned a bit of leeway and lets face it by just writing on ticket vermin including / excluding fox would clear the issue up and its not done yet there will be a mass debate going on on the interweb for years about it

A lot of people from South Wales on here all of a sudden :hmm:

Seriously though, who cares?

Since this has been going on, the chap in question has edited his signature quite a few times to remove details of when he purportedly applied for his various licenses, was visited and was ultimately granted. Why? Because none of the dates stacked up.

I agree with Blackbart, to suggest that a target shooter with 2 years under his belt wouldn't know about expanding ammo is just not credible.

Also, if he's a target shooter, why not buy a .22 target rifle?

Also, which force would be brave enough to state .22RF for foxes and to a new applicant?

Lets have a scan up of the licenses - blank out the name and address by all means, but let have a look.

I am not inclined to entertain questions or discussions with people telling porkies, so lets get it straightened up asap?

Mung i,v had my ticket for yonks, and if you will take my word for it, all my calibers are listed followed by "shall be used for Fox and Vermin and on ranges" etc etc, so Kent at least do allow .22 for Fox.

Rgds D2D