Northumbria Police

Guest GeorgeH

Guest georgehare

Am I just being inpatient or is this poor service ?

I wrote to northumbria police letting them know i was going to be moving to northumberland (a week before moving) and giving my details etc. Five weeks later i had a firearms officer come and check my cabinet etc and told me my new certificates would be sent in 1-2 weeks. Four and a half weeks later after a few phone calls i got my certificates though the post, with address spelt wrong on both certificates, restrections on my .243 that wer'nt previously on and one of my semi-autos marked down as a over/under.

I sent the certificates back the following monday and was assured they would be back by the end of the week.

More than two weeks later (today) got my certificates back and they have not put my 8-shot on my ticket. So in theory im in possession of a gun that is'nt on a certificate!

All this just for a change of address!

RANT OVER

Not very good service you got and not the service you would expect from the police :hmm: . I know from experience that northumbria's firearms dep't are very busy with applications and they are also preparing a move from HQ to a new address for the dep't.

I have been waiting since my visit on 8th April for my certificate and I rang the dep't last fri to make sure there were no problems with my application. I was told the certificate had been posted on the day I rang (last fri) and I'm still waiting!! :hmm:

You are not alone, they tell me things which are just plain wrong. I have had to get the BASC involved to sort some things out. It's embarrassing to have to correct a certain person on firearms law.

Recent dealings with them have been good and quite quick where needs be,but on the subject of change of address..............................

I waited and i kid you not almost 7(yes seven)month to get my certificate back for a simple change of address :hmm:

This was a few year back and since they changed to civilians running it i have not had any problems.

My application was dealt with really quickly I couldn't fault that BUT having said that I sold a lot of my gear and posted off the transfer paperwork to them and all the paperwork arrived as I get electronic proof of posting.

After a while I sent my old cert in to be renewed and to my horror they still had me down for 4 guns I had sold almost a year previously :hmm:

Luckily I kept records and re submitted the info they asked for and got the metter resolved BUT having said that I think they need to knuckle down and get on track and more to the point on the ball after all these are serious matters not fun and games.

I rang again today about my SGC as I'm now a little concerned it has gone missing! :yes:

The young lady I spoke too said that it had been logged as issued on fri but that might mean that it was not posted (2nd class) until monday morning. She said to wait until fri and if it had not turned by then they would have to circulate it as gone missing/lost/stolen and they would get another one sorted for me. :good:

i have nothing but good reports for northumbria police....very quick firearms and shotgun certs and ultra quick variations...

shaun

Shaun you must be the only person i've EVER heard have a good word to say about Northumbria :blink: I thank my lucky stars i'm covered by Durham everytime i hear the horror stories. <_<

I've just had my own taste of their spectacularly slow service. I put my FAC in for a variation into Durham in March and was surprised when i'd not got it back 3 weeks later (no variation has previously taken longer than 10 days, even when doubling the number of guns on my ticket!). Anyway i waited another three weeks as i wasn't in a particular hurry to buy any ammo but after that i gave Durham a ring. Unfortunately because one of the variations i'd asked for involved a club covered by Northumbria they'd been involved with it and there lies the problem! Time taken for Durham to approve a 2nd S1 shotgun, 3 days, time taken for Northumbria to not even sort out a relatively simple club issue, NINE weeks!

In the end Durham police apologised on Northumbrias behalf and have sent my FAC back to me so i can buy ammo/have it with me when transporting rifles. They are going to ring me for a 'while you wait' FAC when Northumbria finally pull their finger out of their @r$e! ???

Mark