.22 rf or .17hmr

samw

hi all am thinking of putting in for my FAC and just wanted to know what was the best really? i know some say .22 and others will say .17hmr but any help would be really really great.

cheers

sam

iv got both,put in for both,unless youve spent years with a 22lr you will quickly come to realise that the 17hmr is easier shooting [due to the flat trajectory]and safer[due to "less" ricochetes],this is not to say that the 22lr doesnt have its place as it is very quiet using subs at below 80 metres[i know it can be used beyond80 but it is very stretched] :rolleyes::yes::hmm:

BOTH! There's also about 10 thread's on this already and don't see why you needed to start another. Im seroius its very well discussed!

alright pal carm down i couldnt find any when i looked ok cheers to the people that have given there thoughts

cheers

sam

what kind of shooting are you going to be doing?

I hate .22lr's with a vengeance and won't use one anymore as the ricochet issue just annoys me. Its one thing having a good backstop but another when the bouncing blighter sails over the top of it. I've too many houses arround my permission to want it happening. With my HMR it hardly ever happens and even if it does you've a fair assumption the bullet has smashed itself apart and you are only hearing very light particles with little inertia to carry them far. Also unless you have to be quiet due to horses etc why restrict your shooting to half the range by taking out the LR

I've just put in for my FAC for both, to be honest, if I was only putting in for one it would be the 22lr. However, that would be because I've had a lot of experience with them, and with a silencer really like the low noise levels. I've heard hmr's make quite a racket but they really do seem like a useful tool for a job and the safety factor is a big plus.

I'd say just pop both down, then you can decide for yourself

alright pal carm down i couldnt find any when i looked ok cheers to the people that have given there thoughts

cheers

sam

I assure you im perfectly calm. :mad: Although like I said, its a VERY WELL discussed topic. If you do a search there are alot of threads discussing it.

If you read through them you will pick up alot of information to help you make your decision.

Although like I said, just get both :good:

I've just put in for my FAC for both, to be honest, if I was only putting in for one it would be the 22lr. However, that would be because I've had a lot of experience with them, and with a silencer really like the low noise levels. I've heard hmr's make quite a racket but they really do seem like a useful tool for a job and the safety factor is a big plus.

I'd say just pop both down, then you can decide for yourself

funny thing with the noise is it varies a lot depending on terrain and its very hard to pinpoint where it came from. If you stand a few hundred yards to the side of a HMR being shot its quite a strange noise and no where near as loud as you would imagine from shooting it.

funny thing with the noise is it varies a lot depending on terrain and its very hard to pinpoint where it came from. If you stand a few hundred yards to the side of a HMR being shot its quite a strange noise and no where near as loud as you would imagine from shooting it.

i also dont think the noise is as big an issue as is often made out particulary if you use that extra range,it is/seems loud only because you are right next to the explosion.the other week i shot four rabbits in a field one after the other,almost as quick as i could cycle the bolt,the rabbits just didnt seem bothered by the sound :hmm::lol::mad:

i also dont think the noise is as big an issue as is often made out particulary if you use that extra range,it is/seems loud only because you are right next to the explosion.the other week i shot four rabbits in a field one after the other,almost as quick as i could cycle the bolt,the rabbits just didnt seem bothered by the sound :hmm::lol::mad:

They do learn what the sound means, just as they learn what a lamp means, whatever the colour.

Still prefer the .17 to the .22 though as you say use the extra range and snipe them. There is one thing they never learn about though. My .00 FERRET gets them everytime. ???