Tips on filling in shotgun application

Yo!popgun

Hi, chaps.

Just about to fill in me Firearms form 103, from Staffordshire Police.

Any tips?

Some have said to put that I want the gun for clay pigeon shooting but I don't and have reservations about telling porkies, pardon the pun!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike.

The rule is that the Police have to satisfied that you do NOT have a good reason for getting a shotgun, not that you have to satisfy the Police that you DO have such a reason. So - what do you want to do with it ?

As long as you have got a reason then that's OK. Put down "vermin control, pigeon shooting, game shooting" or whatever it is on the form. The FEO may ask you where you shoot and there's normally no reason not to be open about it, but you should not have to fill in any forms giving details of where you shoot or get any written permissions to show them.

Join the BASC. Their firearms department will help with any problems you get.

That’s right,

As an Englishman you are entitled to own a shotgun, unlike a firearm, which you have to give good reason to have one.

You will have no problems unless you have been a real bad lad.

Post a picture when you own one, and when you do try and scrounge a day out with another member, most will help you out once they think you’re a decent chap.

Do get to a clay ground though before you go for the live stuff otherwise you only get depressed when you struggle to hit them.

The PM

Hi, chaps.

Just about to fill in me Firearms form 103, from Staffordshire Police.

Any tips?

Some have said to put that I want the gun for clay pigeon shooting but I don't and have reservations about telling porkies, pardon the pun!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike.

Best bet is to go to a clay ground for an introduction day (only usually costs £50 or so)

Then when the FEO pops round you can name drop

O yes Mr. Plod I've been to Mr. Blogs Clay ground And Brian Blog gave me a few tips and a lesson on GUN SAFTEY!!! and the use of snap caps.

I've now decided to go into it for the sport and hope this leads into some pest control "LATER" When i get a better shot

You dont want to look like the sort of bloke thats going to learn by your mistakes(in the field)

That can and will look a bit irrisponsible

Join BASC or another shooting Org. again this shows you are being a responsible sorta chap.

All sounds a bit costly But a failed application will cost you another £50

As well its best if you are that serious , get your self a Police Approved cabinet fitted Ready , that will save the FLO or FEO having to come round again to issue your SGC

PS

NEVER NEVER NEVER lie on a Police form , they WILL so spot it and you WILL be in DEEP DEEP DO DO !!!!

All the best WB

Thanks for that, chaps.

I have been shooting for the last 3 years on a friends licence but he has been pushing me to get my own kit.

It all works out right because I fix his Land Rover and he sees me right with pigeon shooting and lamping (Rimfire)

I am building a magnet and have already bought some decoys plus I have a load of gear from owning my Superten.

I plan to approach the gamekeeper of the land next to where I work as there is **** loads of pigeons there, trouble is it is set aside land - no crops.

How do I know which is a Police approved gun cabinet??

Mike.

Edited by Yo!popgun

Thanks for that, chaps.

I have been shooting for the last 3 years on a friends licence but he has been pushing me to get my own kit.

It all works out right because I fix his Land Rover and he sees me right with pigeon shooting and lamping (Rimfire)

I am building a magnet and have already bought some decoys plus I have a load of gear from owning my Superten.

I plan to approach the gamekeeper of the land next to where I work as there is **** loads of pigeons there, trouble is it is set aside land - no crops.

How do I know which is a Police approved gun cabinet??

Mike.

I got mine from DJS Products

I went for the 5gun (it now has 7 in it)

Came in less than 2 days from ordering

Tel. 0800 5877730

They have ads in most gun mags its about the cheepest you can get deliverd to your door

My 5gun SG was 93.50 all in ( i think it was cheeper than that but that is an up to date price)

WB

I may be wrong but it doesnt have a bit on the form 103 asking to give reasons for wanting a shotgun. Although the officer that comes to check your safe will probably ask you what you want it for and where you intend to use it.

ferretmanabu the fee will be refunded if its refused, your correct.