Got asked for ID today

DanRM

I took my air rifle to the gun rooms this morning to get the scope sorted. On my way back i walked past a policeman on his bike, he stopped and asked what i had in my slip.

I replied an air rifle, he then asked for ID to check that i was of legal age, then when i showed him my driving licence he then asked why i was walking through town with it, and i explained why.

If i were to be carrying my shotgun for it to be repaired or something along those lines would i have had to be carrying my certificate as well by law or not?

I do anyway when i would be having to take the gun through somewhere public but i was just wondering if it is law to even though you are not purchasing anything.

Dan

Edited by DanRM

I took my air rifle to the gun rooms this morning to get the scope sorted. On my way back i walked past a policeman on his bike, he stopped and asked what i had in my slip.

I replied an air rifle, he then asked for ID to check that i was of legal age, then when i showed him my driving licence he then asked why i was walking through town with it, and i explained why.

If i were to be carrying my shotgun for it to be repaired or something along those lines would i have had to be carrying my certificate as well by law or not?

I do anyway when i would be having to take the gun through somewhere public but i was just wondering if it is law to even though you are not purchasing anything.

Dan

I don't think it's law - but you save yourself hours of hassel anyhow.

Thats Ok Jo, only a bunch of guys from our club got pulled over going to the range one morning and when they said there were firearms on board the cop said he would have to call the firearm squad as he could`nt touch the guns.

I know Dan`s situation was a little different so maybe different rules apply, I`m sure someone will be along to tell me different.

Kevin

Thats Ok Jo, only a bunch of guys from our club got pulled over going to the range one morning and when they said there were firearms on board the cop said he would have to call the firearm squad as he could`nt touch the guns.

I know Dan`s situation was a little different so maybe different rules apply, I`m sure someone will be along to tell me different.

Kevin

That might be slightly different as they were stopped in a car with the weapons locked in the boot but I'm sure any police officer can check on your details (name, address and so on) if they stop you carrying a weapon in the street. If it is then discovered it is firearms they might then call in firearms officers to deal with it.

Any Police Officer can check your SGC or check I.D. - carry your cert if you are out with shotguns or firearms then its a simple check.

There is no legal requirement to carry your shotgun certificate when travelling with your shotgun. However, if a police officer asks to see it and you are unable to present it, then the officer may take possession of your gun. The law states that he should see your original certificate, but many police forces will be satisfied by sight of a photocopy, the original being kept in a safe place at home. Therefore it is strongly advisable that you carry at least a copy of your certificate whenever you have your gun with you, including while out shooting.

If they want to actually handle or inspect the guns then they wont necessarily call a firearms unit but should be an officer who is either an Authorised Firearms Officer or trained to safely handle and ensure a weapon is safe.

Mostly good advice here today ,basically any Police Officer can stop and check you and your firearms, keeping a copy of your shotgun cert/firearms cert is a good idea and will always help the situation, it is very easy to check a certficate holder as the information is readilly available at the other end of a police radio, the bobby who stopped the car may have had a reason to call for firearms team to check, he may not be conversant with firearms, contrary to popular belief not all Police Officers are.

Just to add that all sgc and fac holders are on the police national computer and with your name and date of birth it can easily be confirmed if you hold a ticket or not. It wont say what guns are on it but if you have any id at all that backs up who you are like drivers license or bank cards then the police should be happy with that.

Harry