the twins

the last engineer

I know ive mentioned them before ,so i thought id post them this time.

saturday in work ,nothing better than a full strip down and clean for the season's target shooting .

My two Browning Ultra XS , i have stripped and cleaned down to the extractor plates and srews as you can see ,everything is degreased and dry cleaned before moly coating .

all burnt plastic and powder from tubes comes off easily with the dry film coating ,threads are brass brushed polished and coated,as are the mating threads in the barrels (and coated) ,chambers , again brass brushed with solvent ,dry cleaned and molly coated extractors plates removed cleaned and molly'd,

fore-end stock action removed e.g. extractor springs and pins,fore-end latch , all screws are replaced with loctite 680 (slip fit) everything cleaned and coated for the season ,stock was removed prior and complete action cleaned and blown free of all debbris moly again used around all moving parts and springs ,hammers and pin springs ,coating the sear's actualy improoved the feel of the triggers on both guns , the molly reduces friction on the two metal surfaces for a nice crisp release .

below are a few pics of two the guns in stages of servicing ,the top gun has Browning ext tubes running to 32" with 2 x modified

the second runs either full or imp cyl ,i try not to change too many times in a tourney .

hope you enjoy them :rolleyes:

Martin

post-18-1114336884.jpg

T.L.E.,

You put me to shame, all mine get, is dried and a quick rub of oil, and back in to the cabinet, after each use. I've never stripped the O/U's or had them serviced in the last 10 years. I do strip the Auto's but that's through neccesity.

Well Done, nice job.

Embaressed, :*)

Hammy

Thanks Cranfield, grade of stock is 1AA top, 1AB bottom ,they came up well ,took a lot of elbow grease but worth it.

HAMMY , do it once a year at least ,the process posted i do twice a year regardless, begining of April (late this year) and end of October .

I do shoot a lot of shells and feel it nessasary for reliability ,i have replaced the pins in the top gun twice (once every 2 years ) pitting and wear has promoted this action ,when given a few "missfires" it dosent help your nerves in a competition.

You will enjoy the end result , as to the stocks ,i refinish myself , unfourtunatly this has led to other stocks coming my way ,time and patience are the keys .

Martin

• 9 months later...
Are you supposed to clean guns every year then?

No one told me :*)

LB

:D didnt know this thread was still going

only the ones you want to work LB :D:lol:

Not PERFIK :< Nick, i worked hard on these stocks, come on a little praise please B) , by the way you should see the 525 stock mmmmmmm tasty

one thing to mention LB , i did run 8500 rounds ( over 6 weeks) through my 391 before she jammed :D

the winchester X2 took less than a thousand to cratter (inside 2 hours) went hard on that one, killed it dead :lol: she got so hot the brass expanded in the chamber and would not eject , had to dig it out in the end, so endeth the destruction test :lol:

Martin

Are you supposed to clean guns every year then?

No one told me :*)

LB

:D didnt know this thread was still going

only the ones you want to work LB :D:lol:

Not PERFIK :< Nick, i worked hard on these stocks, come on a little praise please :P , by the way you should see the 525 stock mmmmmmm tasty

one thing to mention LB , i did run 8500 rounds ( over 6 weeks) through my 391 before she jammed :D

the winchester X2 took less than a thousand to cratter (inside 2 hours) went hard on that one, killed it dead :lol: she got so hot the brass expanded in the chamber and would not eject , had to dig it out in the end, so endeth the destruction test ;)

Martin

:lol: B)

no you fool, the image not the guns :D

the guns are great (see the other thread)