Americans?

LeeinVA

I do think i should have have started this off as a question, but I would love to hear what you have heard about us? And perhaps i might dispell some of them :blink: And do not believe i represent the whole lot of them as i am a much better human being :good: Besides i am an honorary Brit and i aint skeert :hmm: This should be interesting..

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say the Americans I have met are discusting. Coke for breakfast ! And I cant stand the accent... sound so primative. "Rednecks"

Why do the American boys aged 12-16 always say: "look dude, dude, dude" "douche bag".

I have to say the Americans I have met are discusting. Coke for breakfast ! ***. And I cant stand the accent... sound so primative. "Rednecks"

What are you talking about. You guys are the ones with the accents :hmm: :blink:

I have to say the Americans I have met are discusting. Coke for breakfast ! And I cant stand the accent... sound so primative.

Why do the American boys aged 12-16 always say: "look dude, dude, dude" "douche bag".

Dude!! I am so sorry to hear that :blink: Unlike you? i would lend you a hand should you ever need it :hmm:

I suppose the most frequent assumption about Americans is that they don't know where anywhere is outside of the USA and have a very blinkered view of the world.

However, I think we're catching up with them on that one. I believe that if you ask 99% of Brits to point on a map or globe to the country that they're visiting on holiday, they couldn't do it. They get on planes and get off when they're told to. It's hot, booze is cheap. They get burned and laid, then come home and they could have been to the moon for all they know :blink: :good::yes::yes:

Unbelievable :hmm:

I suppose the most frequent assumption about Americans is that they don't know where anywhere is outside of the USA and have a very blinkered view of the world.

However, I think we're catching up with them on that one. I believe that if you ask 99% of Brits to point on a map or globe to the country that they're visiting on holiday, they couldn't do it. They get on planes and get off when they're told to. It's hot, booze is cheap. They get burned and laid, then come home and they could have been to the moon for all they know :good::yes::yes::yes:

Unbelievable :blink:

We do, and that is only because we are probably fighting a bloody war there :hmm:

We visited friends in south carolina the other year,

some of the most friendly people I have ever met are in the south.

his mother at 92 had never been further than 50 miles from where she was born, and I was the first "Englishman" she had met.

I remember talking to a blackman in a gas station, he was amazed I was speaking to him, apparently its not done.

yes I saw bullets on the wal mart shelves like we would have cans of beans.

oh yea they all think they pay a lot for gas :hmm:

it was $1.90 a gallon then, they didnt beleive we were paying the equivalent of $9.

Edited by bobt

Lee , don't assume that all the British are widely travelled and a lot of the comments you are likely to get are from people whose exposure to the US is via Jerry Springer.

I have travelled widely through the US over many years, spending as much as 6 months a year there and I have met polite,really nice, generous, helpful people where ever I have been.

Some have remained good friends for over 30 odd years.

There is good and bad everywhere.

Lee , don't assume that all the British are widely travelled and a lot of the comments you are likely to get are from people whose exposure to the US is via Jerry Springer.

I have travelled widely through the US over many years, spending as much as 6 months a year there and I have met polite,really nice, generous, helpful people where ever I have been.

Some have remained good friends for over 30 odd years.

There is good and bad everywhere.

I know Mr. Cransfield, but this is interesting stuff :hmm:

I could tell you the thing that ***** me off about Americans, and it really is the only thing I don't like about them, or feel strongly about.

Militarily, they look down their noses at everybody, including the UK. This goes throughout everything from the armed forces, government and Hollywood. You get a turkey like Tom Hanks who is an obvious Brit-hater, who abuses his position as an actor/director or whatever he thinks he is and rewrites history in favour of the US military. All I hear from the US about our efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan is sneering criticism. If it weren't for US money and equipment, their armed forces would not be a patch on ours, we just don't have the manpower or the cash, after all the UK is about the size of the White House lawn :blink:

It's been known for years, my old man used to tell me that in WW2 the feeling was that if you had British soldiers, German generals and US arms and equipment, you could take over the world by the middle of next week :hmm:

Edited by Chard

I could tell you the thing that ***** me off about Americans, and it really is the only thing I don't like about them, or feel strongly about.

Militarily, they look down their noses at everybody, including the UK. This goes throughout everything from the armed forces, government and Hollywood. You get a turkey like Tom Hanks who is an obvious Brit-hater, who abuses his position as an actor/director or whatever he thinks he is and rewrites history in favour of the US military. All I hear from the US about our efforts in Iraq and Afghanistan is sneering criticism. If it weren't for US money and equipment, their armed forces would not be a patch on ours, we just don't have the manpower or the cash, after all the UK is about the size of the White House lawn :good:

It's been known for years, my old man used to tell me that in WW2 the feeling was that if you had British soldiers, German generals and US arms and equipment, you could take over the world by the middle of next week :blink:

I agree with you Chard.. There are things about the new military that bothers the **** out of me too.. I for one am thankful for the support of the UK and i honor her fallen and thank her vets.. There are more like me than you may imagine. :hmm:

I agree with you Chard.. There are things about the new military that bothers the **** out of me too.. I for one am thankful for the support of the UK and i honor her fallen and thank her vets.. There are more like me than you may imagine. :good:

Ah, that's why you're an honorary Brit :hmm:

:P

Other than the military thing, I don't have any problems . I have been to the States about 5 or 6 times, can't remember :blink: and loved every visit. We were always made welcome and I would visit again if I had any money :yes::yes::yes:

Ah, that's why you're an honorary Brit :hmm:

:P

Other than the military thing, I don't have any problems . I have been to the States about 5 or 6 times, can't remember :good: and loved every visit. We were always made welcome and I would visit again if I had any money :yes::yes::yes:

Hopefully i shall be in the UK next year :blink:

:hmm: I have spent alot of time in the USA both Private and on Business and travelled alot of road miles over the last 25 years.

1. I have never been abused verbally or threatened by anyone in the U.S.

2. I`ve never seen a gun crime of any sort .

3. Never had a road rage incident

4. Met some very helpful genuine people who dont wear Dungarees.

5. Too say that all Americans are red neck hicks is the same as saying that all Russian women are built like Wrestlers....wrong !!

I have however been very much abused and verbally threatened, had lots of road rage incidents and had guns used around me with criminal intent here in the U.K.......I also believe Drug Dealing Chavs are worse than Red Necks by far!

Both nations have there problems but I would sooner live here or in the States more than anywhere else in the World.......Long live Anglo-American relations.......RED WHITE AND BLUE NEVER RUN....(well , maybe the French one does). :blink:

My 1st encounter with Americans was when I worked in the Middle East.Young single guys who lived up to the stereotype ie VERY loud and full of themselves and not very wise to the World. Also tried to pull all us Brit guys girls whenever you were on night shift.I realised after a while they were by no means representative of all Americans and I met many many more who were lovely people. I feel more in common with them than I do any European country and I think the achievments they have made are amazing including helping liberate Europe,after a tiny bit of persuasion,Space etc.

Occaisionally I feel brassed off when we seem to be a bit used by America when it suits them (giving the Iraq war credibility) then getting brushed off as a non entity .

I do feel a strong kinship to them and cant wait to get there in August to meet them on home turf.I am planning on decimating the fish population of Florida,but dont tell them,I might not get a visa.

:blink: Lee, is it true that all fat american kids only eat Hershey bars and drink 'pop'? Also is it true that all american cops only eat doughnuts and only drink coffee? P.s what is a hershey bar?

Yes, yes ,and its a chocolate bar from Hershey, Pa.. :hmm:

I have to say that this is the general conception about the usa, although I found them to be far nicer people than the majority of those over here (ok, so it was just florida, but even still). Nobody could get their head around the whole northern ireland thing though :hmm:

on the military front though, there was a saying I heard once (Alexander the great)

"I would rather fight an army of lions lead by a lamb, than an army of lambs lead by a lion"