The cost of a dog :)

Lloyd90

Hey guys had news off the doc. Afraid my eye has a condition that bars me from military service :( Bit gutted but nothing I can do so hoping to crack on. Need to speak to the RAF about it but it don't look good :D

So anyways, atm with the job market like it is I have alot of free time n all and was looking into getting a nice dog to train up :) I have a very good area in my garden to put a kennel in, dog can't go in the house :good:

Looking to get something like a lab as I hear they are good first gundogs. Now first of all would you recommend getting a pup or starting with an older dog ?

There is a nice looking chocolate lab in the sale section for £150, 18 months old, done a bit of gun work before. Seems like a lovely dog.

Or would it be better to get the dog from 8 weeks ?

I am just looking into factoring in how much it would cost.

Say about pup/dog - £150-£300 ??

How much for the dogs jabs ? then the 2nd set of jabs ?

Food obv and things you need for training. This isn't something to be taken lightly, A dog is for life n all. Trying to sum everything up before commiting to getting one :good:

You know be responsible n all :blink: I go running everyday n live right on a nature reserve so can offer plenty or room and exercise :)

Depends on what you are looking for, but for a pup you should really expect to pay £400 - £1000 that is kennel club registered comes from good quality working stock, and the sire and dam have good hip, elbow, and eye scores.

Feeding, I feed mine on Chudleys working crunch, I buy quite a lot so only pay £11.25 for a 20kg bag, but even if you buy one bag you should be able to get it for about £14.00 which will last you a couple of months. Puppy food is more expensive at about £15 a bag for 10 kilo bag, but you can ween them off this at about 8 months.

Insurance, I don't insure my dogs, I just bank a set amount each month in to a savings account, and use that when needed. It works for me.

Jabs, depend on your vet, mine charge £32 for the two. You'll need to worm the pup on a regular basis, then about 3 times a year. Cost of tablet for adults is £7, puppies use liquid with a syringe.

Kennel for outside £200

Bowls £6

Bed £20

Slip lead £5

Dummies for training £4-£7 each

Whistle £5

you might also want to get a game bag for carrying the dummies, starting pistol, books, dvd's, clothing, boots, water proofs, dummy launcher, the list goes on, but you can pick things up as you go along.

Ian

Doesn't sound too bad :good: Im going to build a kennel/run. My cousin's BF's a joiner anyways so might ask his help to whap one up :blink:

Im atm clearing a good area of the garden to build it. It used to be about 6 foot high with brambles but I hacked them suckas back :good:

No rush, Thanks eshial I prob should go for good working stock :D

Doesn't sound too bad :good: Im going to build a kennel/run. My cousin's BF's a joiner anyways so might ask his help to whap one up :blink:

Im atm clearing a good area of the garden to build it. It used to be about 6 foot high with brambles but I hacked them suckas back :good:

No rush, Thanks eshial I prob should go for good working stock :D

You could check out www.ukgundogs.org

or

www.planetgundog.co.uk

or

www.gundogfinder.com

or

www.sportinggundogs.com

There is probably more, also links on my site to other kennels that may be near to you.

Cheers

Ian

Thank's very much guys, Will keep my eyes open and be careful. There's no rush as I don't want to jump in without being prepared.

Clearing a 10foot by 10 foot piece of land atm to put a run n kennel in!

How old can the dog be before you kennel him ?

Labs are a bit easier as less bouncy than a spaniel. my first dog is a cocker as i wanted something small, still not sure if i have done right but time will tell. i know of 2 litles of cockers for sale at westbury on severn so not far from you. all from gamekeeper stock. FTCH history i dont know as i have just been told about them. i will have another one in a few years though. there just so great to be with. (house dog :good:)

The price of a dog isn't big at all, I feed my bitch Dr Johns =£10, for 2 months worth of feed.

Jabs £32 for the year, worming and fleas are a couple of quid every three months. i personally don't have insurance, I just put money into a lil' kitty,incase anything goes wrong.

Cost of a dog Varies, I personally would stay away from dogs older then 1years old, the could be spoilt by poor handling on the trainers part of could have a fault which can't be eradicated,this may be why the dog is going Part-Trained because it will not deliver in a particular excercise,remember people have hidden agendas, like someone has said in the post earlier ££££££ mean everything to some Breeders and gundog trainers. Be very careful with older dogs.

Go for a breed which will do the job you need doing, don't go for a lab to be a bramble basher and so on. I prefer my ESS they are an true,honest all arounder.

a dog can be kennelled from you when you bring it home, just ensure the kennel is draught free,warm and the pup or young dog feels okay.

Also do not buy a pup or young dog with many FTCH's in its first few generations as these dogs can be a handle for a novice and too hot to handle. Staediness and Biddability is the key.

regards RS

Also do not buy a pup or young dog with many FTCH's in its first few generations as these dogs can be a handle for a novice and too hot to handle. Staediness and Biddability is the key.

Could not agree more! Been there, done (or rather doing) that. Getting there, but it's bl00dy hard work and the dog (ESS) will need a lot of handling for a while yet.

ATB Bigthug, it sounds like you're going about it the right way.

My mate has a spaniel and there are really great dogs but I heard labs (a bitch) will be ALOT easier to train than a spaniel for a first time owner. Ive had dogs before but never my own and never seriously trained. I do a bit of beating on a shoot but could just swap to the picking up team I suppose :)

I would love to go for something like a GSP or GWP but hear they are ALOT of work and thought to start of with something a lil more manageable :)

Its raining today :good: Cant get out n finish the ground for the kennel :good: hopefully can get out tomorrow :oops: