Woodland pigeon shooting in the summer - any advice?

midlander007

Hi forum,

I'm usually a winter roost pigeon shooter at my wood in Hertfordshire...however, I have tomorrow off work and was going to go to my wood for the day to hopefully get a few pigeons for the pot.

I've never actually been pigeon shooting in woodland at this time of year so I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the time of day to go, etc?

The wood is about 350 acres of mixed woodland and there are a lot of pigeons that roost there.

Any advice appreciated :-)

Cheers,

M

Tricky this, been out today for a walk in the woods looking for a few pigeons meself and to be honest it was difficult, the pigeons sat high up in the canopy and were flushed a bit to easy, actually shot none but came away with a few squizzers, so not a totally wasted day.

Best bet is to have a stroll and a sit every now and then where you're reasonably well concealed - Have had loads this way and quite nice as you don't have to lug any gear around with you.

I must agree with Fatcatsplat here, i do the same and have good results i find movement is a no no they just spook off so easy.

Good luck

Clubb699

Best bet is to have a stroll and a sit every now and then where you're reasonably well concealed - Have had loads this way and quite nice as you don't have to lug any gear around with you.

I would say the above advice is the way to go, this is what I do and always have an enjoyable day (never big bags mind! :good: ).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I would walk round the edges and see what I flushed out into the open.

Unless you have some nice coppiced open spaces, its almost impossible to see and shoot them through the canopy.

Yeh I agree, you can hear em but see`ing em is a different matter, I ve had the odd one but prefere to leave this to winter time, you might get the odd tree rat though !!

• 3 weeks later...

WE TEND TO SEND SOME ONE IN TO THE WOODS TO SPOOK THEM,WHILE THE OTHERS SHOOT OR WE WALK THE EDGE AND SHOOT AS THEY COME IN,,PLUS GET THE ODD RABBIT OR TWO AT THE SAME TIME,,,LEAVES ARE TWO THICK TO SHOOT THROUGH,THIS TIME OF YEAR,AS PEOPLE HAVE SAID,,,YOU CAN HEAR THEM BUT CANT SEE THEM,,,, :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...