HELP

KINGSHOOTER

:D:D Hi I sold my landrover discovery last week and i have the bloke on the phone today saying that it broke down on him three days later and if i didn't help him out he is going to take me to a small claims court . When he came to view the truck it was dark! and then rang me next day and said i'l take it off your hands without a test drive so i said yes ok, he then signed a recipit SOLD AS SEEN, he was aware of the work i had had done on it and was happy,

can anybody give me some advice on how i stand :D

P.S sorry about the spelling it's not my strong point.

Had a similar thing happen to me some years ago when a chap bought a used car off me. He came to look at it, my wife offered him use of my ramps etc to check evertihng out but he declined. He made an offer which my wife accepted as she was well aware of my bottom price. He collected the car but a few days later said he wanted his money back as it was not the model he thought it was and tried to make out he had been mislead by the advert.

He then threatened me with a small claims lawsuit. I took advice myself and was told that being a private sale and both parties had agreed a price, he hadn't a leg to stand on.

He duly turned up on my doorstep with his court papers but when I told him that I had taken legal advice as well, he trotted off with his tail between his legs.

He had obviously been told that he didn't have a case but to try it on anyway.

I never heard anymore from him.

:D Thanks guys very much for taking time to reply you all said what i had thought but i just wanted somebody alse to tell me you know what it's like when somebody say's 'court' you tend to PANIC!!!!!!!!! im going to go to citusons advice on tuesday just in case thanks once again and have a good weekend :D

HG means what has already been said ie a buyer of a private sale has little or no comeback if he is not happy.

If it had been a registered dealer selling the Landrover then that is a completely differant ball game and the buyer has a lot of comeback if things go wrong.

If he's daft enough to buy a Landrover he's only got himself to blame when it falls to bits :D:D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't resist it.

You have nothing to worry about, I sell a few cars privately and always write two receipt copies, one for the new owner and one to keep (both signed by both parties). Always put in "As seen and approved by purchaser".

"Caveat Emptor" applies, Latin old bean, Latin :D