trying to pick a .223

I'm and going to buy a .223 in the near future (when funds allow) and would appreciate your recommendations.

The guy at the local gun shop recommended a Remmington 700, I can't remember the type but think it had a 1 in 12 twist rate and a 26" barrel that they recommended be cut down.

Someome else I know at the rifle club has recommended the Remmington 700 but the SPS tactical version with a 1 in 9 twist rate and a 20" barrel or the 700P with a 1 in 9 twist rate and 26" barrel (and cut down if using for foxing).

At the moment my FAC is for target shooting only but I have just got permission to shoot RF over a farm, (FAC is now with Thames alley police to change) I didn't ask about getting permission for CF, thought I'd wait a while, prooving I am responsible etc. before asking if the farmer would like me to help with the charlies as well.

So I am, looking for a rifle that I can shoot down at Bisley but then use for foxing if/when I get permission to use .223 over the farm (it is already cleared for .223 by the way). Your suggestions, experiences and all will be much appreciated so that I can find something that I can use for both range and foxing an hopefully not need to change between the two.

Alternatively, If I'm talking B***ocks could you put me on the right track

Thanks

G

If your going for target shooting I'd go for a varmint heavy barrel :good: You can shoot more shots before it heats up and there supposed to group tighter :P

A remington 700 SPS Tactical sounds alright :angry: Although a Tikka Varmint or even a CZ varmint will do a good job aswell :)

A 26" barrel is a fair lump if you plan on walking far with it in the field & with a moderator long too.

I recently got a SPS Tactical 20" 1:9 and so far it shoots great. I have added a jewel trigger & ASE CQB moderator, both not cheap options but now it is a good combination and shoots 52 Amax, 55 Vmax & 69g match bullets very accurately.

With the tactical barrel it is on the heavy side for field use, although for vehicle lamping or sitting up it is ideal, being nice and compact. I find it nice and quiet compared to my other centrefires.

Buying a 26" gun & cutting down (with recrown).....why would you want to do that ?

Cheers

AndyCM

Guest RemmySPS

There you go a Remmy SPS in .223 with a 26 inch barrel cut down to 20 inches and re-crowned. Did the job myself so it cost nowt.

Don’t know if the 1-12 twist would suit you as it is only good for 55grn at the most (may go a tad heavier) but it is very, very accurate up to 300 yds with this bullet.

May get it moderated at some time in the future, but as I don’t shoot too many foxes (not like the lucky boogers who shoot 10 every night) I just may leave it as it’s heavy enough as it is.

DSCF0020.jpg

For shooting at the range (you don't say how far though) I'd suggest a heavy barrel and a fast twist rate if you're shooting out to longer ranges. The trouble is that will make it heavy in the field! A fluted barrel is pretty handy for that as they raise the surface area of the barrel for cooling but also reduce weight. A fast twist will not be great for lighter varmint bullets, but then a slow twist isn't going to keep the heavier bullets on track without tumbling.

For up to 300 yards and lots of field use I'd go for a 1-12. Longer range and you need the 1-8 or similar.

How about a remmy LSSF? That's got fluting and not too much weight. Could be spot on for you?

Although the 26" barrel is a big lump to lug around I wouldn't have it cut down. You can't put it back once it's been lopped off. A tighter twist than 1:12 would be better for target use but I don't know if Remington do anything faster than 1:12. The Sako 85 can be had with a 1:8 twist.