Rifle barrel shortening

starlight32

Right chaps,

I am think of having a barrel shortened and re-screw cut on a rifle of mine. Does anyone know if this has an impact on accuracy & velocity?

My gunsmith says no........as with modern propellents the fast burn rates achieve bullet twist before it reaches anywhere near the end of the barrel.

I am thinking of taking 18" down to 12 or 13" on a 22 rim, there are replacement barrel's available but unfortunately none available in the country at the moment and unlikely to be for ages.

My 10/22 had a 12.5" carbon/stainless barrel, and my Quad has a 14" .22 lr barrel. I can't answer about loss of velocity but the accuracy is great when I use it which is very rare because of .22lr ejection problems related to the Quad. With a tiny little soundbiter moderator on the end it is seriously car window friendly.

dont do it!! you lose velocity!! if you want a short barreled rifle then buy one. i did a .22lr not long back and regreted it so much i binned the rifle!

12" is the legal limit in this country i think. i wouldnt say accuracy is greatly affected but i lost a lot of range with mine

dont do it!! you lose velocity!! if you want a short barreled rifle then buy one. i did a .22lr not long back and regreted it so much i binned the rifle!

12" is the legal limit in this country i think. i wouldnt say accuracy is greatly affected but i lost a lot of range with mine

Where is the difference between shortening a barrel and buying a short one? The velocity of a .22 bullet will be the same from 2 barrels of the same length. A 12" barrel is a 12" barrel is it not?

dont forget having barrel cut you have to have it re proofed or you cannot sell it

Do you? I worked for a company who imported Baikal shotguns and have cut down hundreds of barrels and they never went for reproofing.

Rob,

Anschutz make a target rifle with a 14" barrel so I can't see how it will affect accuracy. You may lose a little in velocity but not enough to even give a second thought.

Thats what I thought with the .22. Mine is old as the hills anyway but as there is a guy who has started up locally who cuts down and recrowns for 35 quid, I thought I might give mine a new lease of life, and treat it to a new mod as well.

However, I am told the the .17 needs 18 3/4" of barrel to achieve full burn and maximum velocity-apparrently every inch removed below equates to 26 ft a sec.

Edited by starlight32

it's not as simple as saying that one inch equals a certain velocity. One inch taken from a 23" barrel won't be the same as one inch taken from a 16" barrel. Short of using quickload and playing with it inch by inch or cutting down a barrel inch by inch you'll not know exactly what it will be. And, no two barrels are the same. Some barrels shoot fast, some shoot slow. Case in point, my savage stainless HMR barrel was right around 20". With standard 17gr ammo, it averaged 2600-2610 velocity. If you look at the bullberry data, the same length barrel is a tich over 2500. Tight or loose chambers, tight or loose bores, and temp will all make a difference.

While some dispute the motives behind the test (and the data generated), about the only data available is the bullberry data for the HMR. Long story short, you don't loose that much speed or range by shortening the barrel. It is around 15 fps per inch for upper teen lengths, and 40-ish for the 11-14" lengths. If I were buying/building an HMR right now for use in the truck with a Sak (or equivalent) I'd be looking right around 16" or so.

http://www.bullberry.com/HMRdata.html

Thanks,

Rick

I wanted mine cut to 16" I did lot of searching about, eventually I spoke to a very well respected riflesmith.

He advised me to go for 14" which is what he did for me, and all though I never chrono'd it before or after there has been zero loss of accuracy and the rifle is far more car friendly as a result

I had my CZ barrel cut down to 14.5 inch. I can't tell how how much power it's lost, as I'm rubbish with facts and figures, however it has taken nearly 1000 rabbits in the last 18 months at reasonable ranges, and appears to be just as good ( no actually better) than before it had the snip. I can't see any downside at all, it's a joy to use from the vehicle, and nicely balanced for me when walking and shooting. Mine is the varmint.

Cost was 35 notes. Thumbs up from me! :good:

Where is the difference between shortening a barrel and buying a short one? The velocity of a .22 bullet will be the same from 2 barrels of the same length. A 12" barrel is a 12" barrel is it not?

Do you? I worked for a company who imported Baikal shotguns and have cut down hundreds of barrels and they never went for reproofing.

i believe it is against the law for an rfd to sell an unproofed chopped down riffle but a private sale is ok

and there are rifles out there that do not send the rifling all the way to the end of the barrel to preserve it when cleaning so chopping one down takes this benifit away?

again it is only my opion. i would buy a porsche and make it look like a fiesta.