Just to clarify a few things

Hi there, i have recently read on a police website that the legal age of being in possession of a shotgun and shooting unsupervised is 15? am i correct in thinking that a 15 year old can OWN a shotgun on his/hers certificate and shoot on permissioned land unsupervised? Is this right?

Here is a basic explanation for all firearms but see the lower part on shotguns

Frank

No one under 18 years can have with them an air weapon at any time unless supervised by someone who is aged at least 21 years unless they are shooting at an approved target shooting club or shooting gallery.

A young person between 14 - 16 years may shoot an air weapon on private premises providing they have the prior consent of the owner/occupier and providing any missile fired does not go beyond the boundary of those premises.

It also became an offence to make a gift of an air weapon or ammunition to a person under the age of 17 years.

It is also an offence to have an air weapon in a public place without lawful authority or reasonable excuse.

There are currently no lower age limits for an applicant wishing to apply for a shotgun certificate. A person under the age of 14 years may not be granted a firearm certificate in any circumstances.

A person under the age of 17 may not purchase a firearm or ammunition

Under 15 years old it is prohibited to have with him assembled shotgun except while under the supervision of a person of or over the age of 21, or while the shot gun is so covered with a securely fastened gun cover that it cannot be fired.

Edited by hurstpol

Right so from that am i right in gathering what i stated earlier is true?

:oops:

No as it says below he is only authorised to be in possesion of it if he is supervised by a person of or over the age of 21 but it is different if it is an air weapon, but a no no for shotguns without supervision

Under 15 years old it is prohibited to have with him assembled shotgun except while under the supervision of a person of or over the age of 21, or while the shot gun is so covered with a securely fastened gun cover that it cannot be fired.

Frank

It is an offence for anyone under the age of 17 to buy or hire a firearm, including an airgun.

Between 15 and 17 years old, a youngster may be in possession of a shotgun, even though he or she may not buy or hire one.

Under the age of 15, a youngster can only be in possession of a shotgun if supervised by an adult aged 21 or over or if the gun is covered with a securely fastened gun cover to prevent it being fired.

Found this online :oops: Id ring your FEO or BASC to make sure, don't want to get into trouble do ya ? :oops:

Sorry read it again or read my earlier post which was copied from the police national legal database, I am qualified to give this advice, " he needs supervision at all times"..

Frank

Your first post doesn't mention anything about people 15 years old, only those under 15. :oops: And something about air weapons which doesn't apply in this particular case.

Here we go again, people who are adamant that they know the law giving incorrect advice.

Peter is correct, those between 15 and 17 who are in possession of a sgc who have been gifted a shotgun or acquired one may have it in their possession without supervision. No if's or but's, its the law, read the guidelines or the firearms act the details are there in black and white.

Thanks Charlie. :oops:

Sorry read it again or read my earlier post which was copied from the police national legal database, I am qualified to give this advice, " he needs supervision at all times"..

So Frank, best YOU read the question again so you understand that the OP was referring to a 15 year old, and that you were (for some reason) quoting paragraphs referring to <15 years old. Any if you still don't get it, best check your qualifications in this area didn't arrive in your Weetabix box. :oops::oops:

Edited by Peter De La Mare

ringers100

sorry I misread it I did not know the lad had a shotgun certificate, I made a mistake,I made the assumption that you were just asking about unsupervised shooting, I apologise to you for that and own up to it, we are all human and should own up to mistakes when we make them, and I hope you now know the correct position.

"Charlie T" I do know the law I administered it for 30 yrs, I just made a mistake in this one instance, but I would rather make a mistake and err on the side of caution giving the wrong advice which may save a young lad getting into bother, the purpose of a forum is to stimulate discussion and come up with the right answer, which is what has happened in this case, so the forum has done it's job.

Frank