NI Lads - Lead Ban 1st September

just got this email from basc, glad i got it cos i hadnt heard anything :good:

Countdown to lead shot restrictions in Northern Ireland

16 June 2009………………………………………………..immediate release

There are only 11 weeks to go before new lead shot restrictions come into force in Northern Ireland on 01 September.

The regulations will prohibit the use of lead shot to shoot any species of bird or animal on or over wetlands. Anyone shooting with lead shot on or over wetlands on or after 1 September 2009 will be committing an offence and liable to prosecution; conviction can result in a fine of up to £1000.

The legislation applies to all wetlands, including all foreshore areas, in Northern Ireland. Therefore all coastal wildfowling, including punt gunning, will have to be undertaken with non-lead shot. Inland flight ponds, no matter how small, are counted as wetland features as are fields which frequently flood or which include streams, ponds or other wetland features. Shooting ducks, geese, game, pests or clays away from wetlands is not affected by the legislation.

BASC’s director for Northern Ireland, Roger Pollen, said: “It is very important that all people who shoot in the Province are aware that these new regulations come into force soon, as non-compliance will lead to prosecutions. Non-lead alternatives are widely available from all good gun dealers.”

BASC NI is writing to all its members this month with a guidance document that explains the legislation and how to shoot safely within the new regulations. If shooters need more help on this issue they can visit the Northern Ireland pages of BASC website www.basc.org.uk or contact the BASC Northern Ireland office on 028 9260 5050.

ENDS

33 Castle Street, Lisburn, BT27 4SP

Email: nire@basc.org.uk

dont know about the rest of you but itll affect me on at least 3 permissions :P

Well at least they had half the sense and to go with the law as it is in scotland. We have to use non toxic wherever we shoot ducks and geese.

Get yourselves some Remington Nitro steel and save all the experimenting with different shells. They are really the only ones that work.

Well at least they had half the sense and to go with the law as it is in scotland. We have to use non toxic wherever we shoot ducks and geese.

Get yourselves some Remington Nitro steel and save all the experimenting with different shells. They are really the only ones that work.

it does make it easier to police though. The other version must be impossible to police and certainly you couldn't just Xray birds at a game dealers as people would just say they weren't shot over wetland

Its been on the BASC NI web site for quite a while, been discussed with wildofwling clubs form ages ago and i think Roger is about to send out another newsltter about is as well.

David

hmm cant remember when i last read the website (should probly read it more often) and im not really a wildfowler or in a wild fowling club (tho if i see a duck ill swing onto it :no: )

cheers

have known that the lead ban has been coming, will be quite hard to police over private flight ponds but clubs have been encourgaing shooters to get used to it since last year, only prob i can see is a lot of the gun shops over here haven't got their stocks up to date which may cause some problems in a couple of months time. Plus it looks like i'll be shooting steel, have you seen the price of the alternatives?:yes:/

what are the effects of steel shot going to be on your barrels life.

Not sure what effect it will have, but most barrells are proofed well before they are put out on the market, it's just 1 of them things we'll have to get used to! I think it will effect some of our older members more than others as some have been shooting the same gun for up to 40 years! But then again if they have keep a gun in working order for that length of time with salt water all round it i reckon they will deal with a bit of steel!!!

what are the effects of steel shot going to be on your barrels life.

thats the great thing about mossbergs, could probably fire rock chippings through it without any many problems :yes:

yeah i've seen the price of some of the rest of them, bismuth (i think) shocked me when i saw the price of a box!