just a few questions really

i have been told by a few shooters that even on a closed ticket, as long as you have permission to shoot over one piece of land stated on your ticket

and that it says "and any other land deemed suitable for this caliber by the chief officer of police"

that if you have written permission of the land owner, you do not have to wait for authorisation off the FEO in writing (providing the land is already checked)

is this true ?

i have tought you had to wait for a letter saying that you are allowed to.. this seems to say that you can shoot on any land that has been already checked for the calibers you posess...

also when i applied for my ticket originally i wrote down ".22lr X2" so that i could have two of them and buy and keep ".22lr 1000/1500"

but on my ticket it only says ".22 rifle X2" and buy and keep ".22 1000/1500" (i had so much on first application as it was primarily for target shooting)

each RFD ive been to has said it was odd not stating the actual caliber...

the way this is written i could have also bought .22WMR rounds

*i have filled both of these slots with .22lr so here goes*

one of my permissions has asked me to get a .22WMR instead of a 17hmr as he feels its better for foxes as it has a much larger bullet

now i have asked for one today in a letter (as my cert is already in the middle of a variation and ive asked them to keep it until i had this piece signed up)

also i have asked for buy and keep of 1000/1100

all help and advice is apprechiated thanks

will this come out of my normal ".22" allowance or will they add it on as ".22 WMR"

or even change my total buy/keep ammount to "2000/2600"

I've had a good and thorough look through your posts and I know this isn't a great way to initially reply to your question. However, I'm not sure if you're aware that many of us on here waited years before applying for our FACs. I got my SGC at 13 and waited nearly 7 years before I got my permission and I applied for a FAC and got it. Over the years before getting my FAC, I went out shooting rifles under mentorship, joined clubs and read umpteen books about rifles and ammunition.

You seem not to have the slightest clue about firearms or ammunition, but you've held a FAC longer than me. I genuinely would be concerned walking within a 4 mile radius of your permission when you are out. Let alone that, it did also cross my mind that there will potentially be a few animals out there walking round with a hole in them after being shot by a FMJ.

You are in possession of a number of firearms that can do a serious amount of damage and it actually concerns me that someone of such little knowledge is granted a licence which is only closed and no other apparent restrictions.

There is no harm in spending some time actually learning something, by means of reading a book or going out with someone who can give you some guidance. As it can only take one person to ruin it for everyone else.

---

Back to your question:

A closed ticket means that you can only shoot on land that has been cleared for a certain calibre. If you get some more land and it is cleared and you have written permission to shoot it, you can shoot it. You don't need to write in to your FLD.

Has a farmer directly asked you to shoot foxes with a WMR, or was it your FEO? As most farmers just want them shot and I don't know a farmer who would not let you shoot a fox with a .17HMR.

The bit about the WMR ammo: Don't take the ****, just buy .22lr rounds, as you could probably get away with buying WMR rounds, but you would be breaking the law, lose all trust your FEO would have in you and you wouldn't have a rifle to shoot them with.

I would just ring them and say there's an error and get them to write LR on the ticket, as confusion is the last thing you want on a ticket.

Edited by harfordwmj

i am very safe when i am out actually..

i have also been reading the guide to firearms to the police from the home office but it did not give a straight answer about the permissions

with the permissions.. thats what ive heared off of shooters..what you have said about not having to tell the police once you have written permission off the owner providing its already checked

but when i have rang them there have been differences.. one person in the office would say that its a closed ticket and i have to inform them first and wait for a letter and another would say that the land would have to be checked for me first

even when i have stated the exact wording on someones elses first new licence saying *on ranges for zeroing and any land that has already been deemed suitable by the chief officer of police for this caliber*

their answer to me is "there are two types of condition we offer. one where you are un restricted and another where you are restricted and we have to inspect the land first" they dont give me an answer to what im asking.

the farmer shoots himself on his land so its cleared.. and he will not shoot a fox with a 17hmr so HE wants me to get the 22WMR

i was never going to buy the WMR rounds but i was just stating that it was possible because of the wording on the licence

i am ringing them tomorrow to ask them to put .22lr and .22WMR as sepperate slots and also advise them of changes of permissions

If what's on your ticket is actually how it's written then you could buy any .22rimfire rifle and ammunition including a wmr. Confused about this wmr ammunition bit though. You're not suggesting that you could buy wmr ammo and shoot it through a lr rifle are you?

And just because the farmer shoots on his land doesn't mean that it's been cleared.

Right.

First, if your ticket is worded as you said then you can shoot on land that has been cleared for the caliber you intend to use without notifing the police. This is actually mentioned in the guidelines.

Second, there is no legal requirement to have permission in writing.

Third, firearms departments often do not differenciate on fac grants between .22lr, .22wmr etc. However they know what you applied for and may be a little miffed if you applied for a lr and purchased a wmr. It's called trust.

Forth, if you have applied for a variation for a wmr then you will need to apply fora wmr ammo allowance.

the farmer shoots himself on his land so its cleared.. and he will not shoot a fox with a 17hmr so HE wants me to get the 22WMR

i was never going to buy the WMR rounds but i was just stating that it was possible because of the wording on the licence

i am ringing them tomorrow to ask them to put .22lr and .22WMR as sepperate slots and also advise them of changes of permissions

Ouch, I bet that hurts him when he goes out... :good:

You can't assume land is cleared. He might have an open ticket. It's also a complete load of bull about getting a letter through. I have no letters from my FLD and I just used to go on land after ringing them to check it'd been cleared, easy as that.

I take it you've also asked for a rifle, sound mod and expanding ammo to shoot those WMR rounds?

feo told me it was cleared for a .308 today.. had a chat with him too and decided not to get the 22mag.. Just the hmr and mods.. And licence is in the post today so will have it tomorrow.. I told him i will try the hmr out first and if i still want the 22mag il vary again so they have also sent me another variation form..

i was thinking about a c/f but they want you to be supervised on first application for one over land and i have nobody to do that for me.. and dont know the land owner well enough to ask him yet.. Maybe after a few weeks he might do it for me

Your certificate lasts for 5 years. Long enough to get to know the landowner, buy a .223 and get mentored. Now it's gonna cost you if you do go for one.

feo told me it was cleared for a .308 today.. had a chat with him too and decided not to get the 22mag.. Just the hmr and mods.. And licence is in the post today so will have it tomorrow.. I told him i will try the hmr out first and if i still want the 22mag il vary again so they have also sent me another variation form..

So you've dropped the WMR? Even though the landowner specifically told you that you can't shoot the foxes with your HMR. He'll love you for that.

what do you mean its going to cost if i do go for one? I know that bigger 243 new rifle's are are starting from say 700/800 which is way out of my range.. .223 cant be that expensive

Just because the rifle's bigger, doesn't mean it costs more. Secondly, why bother with an expensive new one, when you could have a good value second hand one, which has been worn in and probably gets a scope, mod and bipod thrown in. I got my .270 for £275 with a decent scope and 20 rounds.

".223 can't be that expensive" well - second hand, you might be lucky and get one for £150 or you could pay £20,000 for one, they come in all shapes and sizes and you could have one covered in gold if you liked, so the size of the calibre doesn't decide on its cost.

Got to say it,

You must have more money than sense, all I ever seem to read about in your posts is how you are putting in for a variation.

Seriously, stop and think for a couple of months and decide on what you want, then think for another couple of months and you might get what you really want first time, instead of going right round the houses to get there.

You seem to have a permission go out and use it for a while and get the experience you need, spend the money on ammo and above all enjoy it. You don't need a big gun to get experience in fieldcraft, hence they won't let you have a cf without a mentor, but they will let you have a rimmie.

If your farmer has his own rifle he should understand that until you have the experience you won't be going foxing with a cf.

ATB

Badshot