Any Electricians out there??

Oly

OK, here's the thing...

We bought a house about 6 months ago and since that time we've been doing it up (not living there) but the electricity meter has never moved ??? even though we've been using quite a bit of the stuff and the meter has been physically read twice. (We actually had the same thing previously at another house...free electric for 6 months!)

However, we've moved in now and the meter has started moving again :good: . BUT, I was given a pretty nifty electricity monitor (http://www.efergy.com/e2.html) which is basically reading low compared to the official meter.

SO...we've established that meters can slow & stop :yes:...BUT is it possible that they can go fast ??? ? Or are there physical restrictions etc that stop it from going too fast.

Hopefully your answers should enable me to figure out, now that it's moving again, whether I should now notify the elec company and get a new meter installed.

PS - just in case it's needed the meter is a Landis & Gyr 1 Phase 2 Wire AC Meter ZCB120e 240V 20-100A 50Hz No. C1.2 1992 :yes:

Edited by Oly

OK, here's the thing...

We bought a house about 6 months ago and since that time we've been doing it up (not living there) but the electricity meter has never moved :D even though we've been using quite a bit of the stuff and the meter has been physically read twice. (We actually had the same thing previously at another house...free electric for 6 months!)

However, we've moved in now and the meter has started moving again :look: . BUT, I was given a pretty nifty electricity monitor (http://www.efergy.com/e2.html) which is basically reading low compared to the official meter.

SO...we've established that meters can slow & stop ;)...BUT is it possible that they can go fast :hmm: ? Or are there physical restrictions etc that stop it from going too fast.

Hopefully your answers should enable me to figure out, now that it's moving again, whether I should now notify the elec company and get a new meter installed.

PS - just in case it's needed the meter is a Landis & Gyr 1 Phase 2 Wire AC Meter ZCB120e 240V 20-100A 50Hz No. C1.2 1992 :look:

Yep- seen it before look to the side of the casing, part of it is bakelite the rest tin plate. On the metal part which will be the lower part you will find magnet either underneath or behind the gap between the ceramic washers and the wall. The meter may be mounted on a piece of either chipboard or plywood but you will still be able to see it.Common practice during the 70's & 80's.Just take it off and the meter will start run, ring the electricity board and let them know you have done it and return the magnet to them as proof.

If you get any problems drop me a pm

So are you saying the elec company put the magnet on, or the previous owners?

Could have been either. Even though all meter reading is still done manually by a subcontractor this is only as a backup to confirm readings. All meter went over to teleswitching in the 70's & 80's, they send a pulse back to the electricity supplier so that eventually all the useage tallies. They then found alot of meters were not suitable for conversion to teleswitching without modification so the electricity companies issued magnets-sometimes they sent them to the householder and they fitted them themselves or the they were fitted by the meter man when they visited.

Whatever happens your real useage will eventually back up and they will send on the bill.

Most of the magnet systems were first introduced in the Liverpool area. I had a look at the model of your meter and it was fitted around 1977-78.

Starlight's right, we had the same problem with our property when we moved in - built 1960s.

EDIT:

I think our electrician remedied the problem by drilling a small hole into the side of the meter; it was a straightforward job that anyone could do. I will give him a ring and see what he says you should do.

Edited by Mungler

So it wasn't the magnet that made it stop previously then?

Possibly,

They have just been patching to all grid centers, the reason the magnets were installed was because the the actual meter disc was made of aluminium and for the teleswitching to give an accurate reading they had be made from tin.The older meters just would'nt function correctly. The magnet slowed the speed of the disc to fool the data collection of what was actually used, but in effect still sent the correct reading back to the grid center.

The magnets have only a shelf life of 25 years or so so I would say you need your meter updated.

Another method used to confirm reliable teleswitching was for another upgrade. This involved drilling a 1 or 2mm hole through the meter glass and inserting a fine piece of wire to slow the meter disc down to the the matched revolution required.

Meters were expensive items in those days and changing them was not taken lightly-Hell they change them on a whim nowadays

OK, things are starting to fall into place...I think!! Although this meter doesn't have a visble spinning disc (as per the meter in our old house)...will it still have the same sort of thing internally?

Also - do you think I should get it reported and a new meter...or hang on in the hope that it'll stop/slow again?

Edited by Oly

The reason your meter has stopped is most likely becuase when the house was registered unoccupied the patch between the the grid center and your house used to be severed. The system manually could'nt distinguish the so in effect the magnet counteracted itself-It was known problem.

Like I said it ist'nt worth getting lumbered with a big bill, they will catch up with you. Ring the electricity supplier and let them know you have owned the house for 6 months and the useage is'nt correct as you have been using alot of electric and you don't seem to have been paying for it.

Just a have alook and see if your meter has been modified at all.

Regards

starlight

OK, things are starting to fall into place...I think!! Although this meter doesn't have a visble spinning disc (as per the meter in our old house)...will it still have the same sort of thing internally?

Also - do you think I should get it reported and a new meter...or hang on in the hope that it'll stop/slow again?

Yes it will have a disc internally, all those models did.

Just make sure though you tell the electricity board what ever you do- It won't be a problem, if you take the modification off the meter get the address and send it back to them or give it to the engineer when he calls.

What supplier are you with E.O.N? Southwest power?

It was a sad day for me when electricity supply was deregulated.

Edited by starlight32

I have spoken to the electrician and he says you need the right certificate to drill the meter - typical. He did say it was a piece of urine to do.

He says just phone the leccy company tell them the make and model number of the meter and that the magnet has come off and it's spinning too fast. After that it's their problem and they will have to come out and fix it.

I have spoken to the electrician and he says you need the right certificate to drill the meter - typical. He did say it was a piece of urine to do.

He says just phone the leccy company tell them the make and model number of the meter and that the magnet has come off and it's spinning too fast. After that it's their problem and they will have to come out and fix it.

Mungler's, your electricians right

It used to be a pig of a job and as an apprentice it was the job you always got!!! On the electricity board we used to do 3 upgrades a day, now it is has been deregulated the subcontract companies are expected to do 8!

Part 'P' and 17th edition cert is required for to officially touch any meter. I think the meter work for the Chester area is covered by Siemens.

Cheers guys, sounds like the free elec days might be over! Will give Scot Power (or maybe it's still with Brit Gas) a call.

Did you have a look at your meter, or are you near it?

If you are I have the patch database to hand now-whats your postcode and the meter point reference number- MPR (It will be on a metal disc together with your lead seal on the front of the meter) and I will see what I can find out.

Forgot to add, Just be careful when you are anywhere near the meter and especially the meter tails, remember it is all live.

Stand on a plastic box or something similar which is non conductive to electricity then you will not earth to ground.

Regards

Edited by starlight32

Did you have a look at your meter, or are you near it?

If you are I have the patch database to hand now-whats your postcode and the meter point reference number- MPR (It will be on a metal disc together with your lead seal on the front of the meter) and I will see what I can find out.

Forgot to add, Just be careful when you are anywhere near the meter and especially the meter tails, remember it is all live.

Stand on a plastic box or something similar which is non conductive to electricity then you will not earth to ground.

Regards

a decent set of wellies helps as well :look:

a decent set of wellies helps as well :look:

No need to go that far, it was just a precaution as he is maybe unfamilar with the dangers of electricity.

We used to work 'live' often, and all we had was a line jumper on our wrist- but you know what you could and could not get away with.

This is some sort of **** take surely.

You are saying that electrical companies supplied magnets

or encouraged people to drill holes into a meter in an

attempt to slow it down??

I'm a gullable sort of guy and I tend to belive what people

tell me, but I just can't belive this at all. Also meters do not

send a signal back to the supplier and as for encourageing

somone to tamper with the meter and stand on a plastic box

while they work on live feeds beggars belief.

taz

Actually taz the meter that i just got removed from my grainstore DID send a signal back to the supplier but it was a radio link and cost me a fortune in standing charge each month ( somewhere in the region of £250 a month ).

I did know somebody who lost their supplier when changing once, they went for over two years without a bill, then decided they had better try to get back with somebody, which took a further year, so they went for 3 years without a bill. never had to pay for the leccy used over that period though. If a signal was sent then the company would have soon picked up on it.

• 2 weeks later...