Anyone any experience with a Dragunov SVD?

Cannon

As the title says I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with the Dragunov SVD. There are two versions from different countries (Russia and China) the chinese one obviously being cheaper, but rumour has it they have bettered the russian design internally?? I am giving serious consideration to getting one but would like any opinions good or bad. Cheers, Dancake :yes:

only ever held one once, didnt get a chance to fire it, but found it a bit strange to be honest. my head felt in an awkward position when looking through the scope, plus dont forget theyre designed as a semi auto so accuracy might be an issue? sorry thats all i can say

Dan, what would be the rifle's intended use?

I have used a semi-auto Dragunov, and didn't think much of it. The length of pull was much too low (for me), as was the comb. On the accuracy stakes it was acceptable but by no means exemplary, and the more precisely engineered semi-autos (e.g., the PSG-1) kicked the SVD's backside. My chief gripe was the PSO-1 scope: unless someone has since built a Weaver/Picatinny rail for the Dragunov, you're stuck with what is a very basic scope when compared alongside an S&B PMII etc.

Although I have no allegiance either way, I would say that your money is better spent on an AR-15 derivative if you want to go down the military rifle route.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll search for an alternative within a reasonable price bracket. It's for 600 meter target shooting so accuracy is kind of important lol

There will be alot better rifles out there than a druganov. the chinese version is called a type 85 rifle. the romanians also do one called an FPK (althought this one is more like a modified AK47 styled like a druganov)

The druganov was designed to increase the effective range of a russian infantry squad to 600 meters.... now from that you need to gleam an important peice of info "effective" can mean two things harressing fire or lethal fire in either case its basically saying it can hit a human with a good probability of killing at this range but that doesnt mean it will win any bench shooting competitions some snipers can shoot and kill a human 1000meters with it but ultimately its primary design is rugged low maintenance sniper rifle as opposed to a target rifle.

If you really want a good target rifle i would recommend a true purpose built target rifle (possibly something based on the remmington 700 action *or even a remmington 700 with heavy barrel and synthetic stock*as accuracy international who design our sniper rifles reckon its one of the best for accuracy) military sniper rifles are rugged weapons (especially the russina ones) aswell as good shooters, not pure tac drivers so unless its for hunting or for the novelty value a proper target rifle would be more fit for purpose. :lol: