Laser eye surgery

Staffs-Shooter

I enquired about it at my opticians, and he told me that the best way is to go to the eye infirmary :thumbs: and they will do it. if your eyes are suitable (you still have to pay) :<

This is a safer way than some of the other outfits who are only interested in Profit and big cars for their directors :)

My eyes are a bit too far gone but if they were not I would not hesitate :)

Yes - I had it done around Feb / March last year. Hasn't really changed anything shooting-wise - it just means I no longer wear specs or contact lenses for anything.

I now have 20/20 vision and have no problems or changes with night vision, and none of the potential problems I was told about before surgery. I used Boots in Glasgow but think they have sold all their clinics now, not sure.

Piebob

I was advised by my optician to leave it until my eyes were worse as apparently you can't keep on having it done so you need the eye deterioration to stabalise before having the corrective surgery. I currently have a left master eye and have always shot from my left shoulder, can be a bit awkward with some air rifles designed for right handers with high fancy combs but not too much of a problem with the shotgun.

I wear glasses for close up work, they can be a right pain, its not the vanity its the putting them down and forgetting where I've left them. Still fortunately have good distance vision but I guess it will go with age.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife had this done , blind as a bat before , now 20/20 vision , There only 2 thing that can really go wrong

1 They need to over correct the laser so the vision heals back , there is no telling how quick or slow your body heals so can leave you short sighted still

2 they laser a round area lager than the pupil around 7mm if your iris open more than this then you get hazing around lights at night , like water on the windsreen . My wife had neather and this was over 10 years ago .

She had it done in a clinic in london called optimax , there is a webb site on the net to look at , it cost a grand but well worth it in my opion .

personally I can see how it can change the dominance of the eye, as its a motornuron sence from the back of the brain ,like weather you are left or right handed . It has nothing to do with the focus of your sight, that my opion not to be quoted on , I hope this helps .

ps . My wife shoots clay and is getting better by the week . I think a will start having to bend her barrels :devil::devil:

My wife had neather and this was over 10 years ago .

She had it done in a clinic in london called optimax , there is a webb site on the net to look at , it cost a grand but well worth it in my opion .

That is the same company (Optimax) advertising this offer, if it cost your good lady a grand 10 years ago a "buy it now" price of £795 for both eyes has to be good value IMHO !!

Is it a very painful experience ? I guess they will have refined techniques since your wife had hers done. Is she still happy with the results this far on ? How old was she when the treatment was done ?. Sorry to sound so inquisitive but I'm seriously thinking about getting it done as my eyes are getting worse (close vision) and I find wearing glasses for the work I do a bit of a pain. Even worse I can't see to tie flies on the leader!!

Old Rooster there are two main techniques. Chris is describing the "flap and zap" procedure which is what I had done. Not sore - more uncomfortable, but I think it's really because you know what is happening rather than anything else. Flap and zap is where they cut a horse-shoe in the eye lense with a very fine blade, flap it up, laser your eye, flap it down. Each eye takes about 30secs. The healing process, as Chris mentions, is the unknown quantity but I had perfect vision in one eye about 6 hours after the procedure! The other eye took a couple of days as they tore the flap slightly :devil: Both eyes perfect now.

The other technique is for eyes that are not too bad. It is more painful and takes longer to get the vision back. However, it is less risky as there is no surgery involved. Basically, they pour alcohol or similar into your eye to "melt" the lens to the right thickness.

As you can tell, this is all in layman's terms :ernyha: but there is a raft of info on the web about the techniques they can use.

Bear in mind that there is nothing that anyone can do to stop the ageing process of the eye. i.e. I have perfect vision just now, but may well need reading glasses when I get to your age!!!! :devil:

Some companies might do a free consultation (Boots used to but they sold up) but others might charge even to find out if your eyes are suitable for treatment.

Piebob

Sorry guys didnt make myself very clear. Pie bob is right in what he is saying and is more expensive than what my wife had done. Claires was called lasik I think. This is where they use a solition that disolves the film across the frount of the eye and then the laser reshape the membrane that covers the lot. Then it takes a while to heal back over The site will be able to tell you more .

She had the consoltation and then the treatment in the same afternoon. She said the treatment didnt hurt at all. afterwards they said it would feel like grit in the eye, for a couple of days . she had the other one done after 6 weeks . I think its 2 weeks know . Claire couldnt see the alarm clock on the bed side tablet before . her eyes were -3.25 in each . The surgery treatment that piebob is writing about can treat a lot worse .

My advise is to go to the consotation for the facts , I dont think it will cost for that and you can just walk away.

Take someone with you just in case you have one eye done because you will not be able to drive .

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

I require glasses for driving but I can see pretty well without them, I just cant read signs far away. I havent wore my specs for about a month (I was on holiday so no driving) and I think my eye sight has got better, can that happen!?

If you have corrective eye surgery then how does that effect your driving licence? It says on your driving licence you must wear glasses/contact lenses while driving indicated by the code 01. So if you have your eyes lasered then obviously you may not need to wear glasses again (if the surgery was a success) but your licence will still say that you need to wear glasses for driving when you dont. Just wondering out of interest what happens, does anyone know?

:)

I enquired about it at my opticians, and he told me that the best way is to go to the eye infirmary

Im off there on monday for laser treatment to reduce the pressure in my eye for a second time :) im not looking forward to the needle being stuck in my eye to numb it then 4-5 weeks of pain afterwards 014.gif106.gif

• 2 weeks later...