Winchester SX3

Smogs

Recently Put through approx. 500 cartridges (28gm ELEY VIP Sporting Fibre) & the last 30 or so I started experiencing cycling issues.

Bit of a pain on a brand new gun still with the Winchester 2yrs warranty. Guy at Shooting club suggested increasing the load to maybe a 32gm & seeing if any problems experienced then.

The cartridges rather than ejecting are getting caught up in the mechanism & actually becoming pinched at right angles in the ejector opening.

Since my last shoot, ive removed & thoroughly cleaned barrel & magazine exterior, however there seems to be a considerable sooting/powder sooting on the magazine end adjacent to the gas valve. Is this normal / usual for a brand new gun ?

Ive looked through this forum & Shotgun World to try & find any helpful advice on the WinchesterSX3 cleaning tips but to no avail. Any tips greatfully rec`d :good:

ps - without sounding like a complete dimwit, OK I am a dimwit.....................I have a number of stock spacers included in the box, what function do these serve ??

Edited by Smogs

ive got a browning gold which is pretty much the same gun and when i clean it there is always sooty deposits on the mag tube and around the gas ports, i just wipe them clean with wd40 and then dry and re oil, always works fine after, 500 shots is quite a lot between cleans, maybe you should clean it every time out

mikee

Just a thought. If the gun is brand new and you have the manual that came with it, does it say anything about putting a couple of boxes of heavy loads through it to begin with?

To be fair, there were 2 down points to the WinchesterSX3 on a review I read, the first was a small trigger guard, the second is an extremely **** manual :good:

Thanks for the reply, nonetheless

depends on the auto,, I've an ancient Browning that has had so many rounds through it its ridiculous got it second hand and its let me down once and that was due to an excessive amount of crud build up after a spot of shooting off the combine so could be excused. A lot of the problems relate to the hatstands rather than the better makes.

Guest topshot_2k
Can't help you..

But it's posts like these that make me glad I Don't own a Semi auto... They seem great in a hide for safety and ease of use, but far to fussy & unreliable for me :good:

try a remington, 2 years old fired 1000's of shells and not one problem.

Fouling around the magazine tube area, the gas piston & the inner handguard itself & the gas ports in the barrel is normal on all gas operated shotguns, & you will need to clean those area's each time.

Reliability & ease of cleaning is why the PSG guys buy Benelli above any other make, they dont use gas like most semi-auto shotguns & so can usually go a lot longer between cleanings & when you do strip it down you wont get black hands.

N