fac arrived , need more info

kier

Hi all,

At last my fac arrived , it says " .22rifle .22 sound moderator, for vermin, zeroing,estate management, other wildlife . expanding ammunition,or missles of such ammunition" .( This is the shortened version) What i need now is what types of .22 rifle do i have the choice of? i was going for .22 rimfire but now it looks like there`s a bigger picture . Accuracy and as quite as poss is my main aim with good range , a rifle that would be good at short and long range , hope im not asking too much though of one gun then theres the scope, any suggestions of which .22 and which ammunition, does anyone have something to suit my purpose for sale?

What does other wildlife mean? does it mean deer( i have the fawn deer here ) but mostly its rabbits and some foxes

I would say buy anything other than .22 rimfire and you'll be asking for trouble. Basically you'll get a certain accuracy with one to about 75 yards and not much more. main quarry will be rabbits pigeons etc and definitely not Deer, foxes is a grey area some forces include them as vermin and some don't. Gun wise have a look about there are lots to choose from CZ's seem popular ammo wise I've always liked winchester subs

Hi all,

At last my fac arrived , it says " .22rifle .22 sound moderator, for vermin, zeroing,estate management, other wildlife . expanding ammunition,or missles of such ammunition" .( This is the shortened version) What i need now is what types of .22 rifle do i have the choice of? i was going for .22 rimfire but now it looks like there`s a bigger picture . Accuracy and as quite as poss is my main aim with good range , a rifle that would be good at short and long range , hope im not asking too much though of one gun then theres the scope, any suggestions of which .22 and which ammunition, does anyone have something to suit my purpose for sale?

What does other wildlife mean? does it mean deer( i have the fawn deer here ) but mostly its rabbits and some foxes

You have pm

Rgds D2D

In answer to the fac, im a farmer and the FAO came to do the five year renewal visit and walked around the farm while i was asking about the possibility of a fac, I deliberately put down just .22 because i wasnt sure what to go for also buying up to 500 and storage of 600rounds. when the FAO came to check about the application he said that he left it as just .22 to let me choose which rifle , but he does get to walk his dog and a cup of tea and plenty of chatting.

Is the "estate management - other wildlife" quoted in the terms of use section or is it seperate with the expanding ammo section? If it's with the ammo bit then that's standard wording and you can only shoot vermin. If it's written in the ammo bit and the conditions of use you're laughing, you can shoot anything you want as long as it's legal quarry. With a .22 that counts out deer unless you go for a centrefire. If you can have any .22 then in theory that allows up to .220 swift I'd have thought? You could shoot Muntjac and Chinese Water Deer with one of those!

My bets are that it's in the ammo bit though, and you're limited to vermin. As for the which .22 question, a Hornet is my all round gun. Bunnies to 250 yards and Fox to nearly that too. A .22lr rimfire will give you 80 yards accurately on bunnies. 40 or so for Fox.

Yes your right its in the ammo part, is your hornet 22 a centerfire, whats the cost of ammo? and if you shot a rabbit at 20yds or so is there much left to eat or would you use a less powerful cartridge at short range. would be amazing to shoot to 250yds though. Kieron

Yeah Hornet is a centrefire, but it's quite small. I've taken a picture for you to compare its size to some other rounds you may consider.

Bullets.jpg

On the left is .22lr. That's a CCI Subsonic 40 grain hollow point bullet

Then .17HMR. A Remington 17 grain V-Max bullet

Then the .22 Hornet. A home load with a 35 grain V-max bullet

Then a .223. Home load 52 grain A-Max bullet

Then a 6.5x55. Another home load with a 130 grain Barnes TSX

Last but not least a .375H&H Magnum with a 300 grain solid.

I think as you have .22 on your FAC you could have a .22lr, .22 Hornet or .223? The .223 is a big round for vermin, too big I'd say. I know it doesn't look big when it's sat by a .375H&H but you have to keep in mind that the big round here is just on the small side but legal for shooting Elephant!

If you shoot a Rabbit at 20 yards with the Hornet you need to head shoot it. Shoot it in the body at that range and you'll split it open and maybe even remove the guts from the carcass. When I load my own you're looking at 25p per round roughly. Factory ammo can be anything from 50p up to £1 per round. If you're bunny bashing at short range the .22lr is great on a budget. You can get 100 good rounds for well under a tenner, but you'll be limited to 100 yards max.

Edited by njc110381

Thanks for the brilliant info , gives me more to think about, still cant make up my mind exactly but it seems to be inbetween a hornet or 22lr If I had known all this I would have put in for several guns, which in the end I will do but I think I should have the gun thats most suitable for my situation then get something else later

Thanks for the brilliant info , gives me more to think about, still cant make up my mind exactly but it seems to be inbetween a hornet or 22lr If I had known all this I would have put in for several guns, which in the end I will do but I think I should have the gun thats most suitable for my situation then get something else later

Kier from the info given I dont think your cert entitles you to anything other than a .22rimfire, as a step through and giving increased range for charlie etc you might consider adding a .17hmr to the cab.

A centerfire rifle of any cal would be out of the question until you had proven experience.

Rgds D2D.

A centerfire rifle of any cal would be out of the question until you had proven experience.

Rgds D2D.

first application I put in was or a .22rf when flo came out ater a chat added .22cf and mod so makes your satement wrong in my case

Edited by ST3V3

first application I put in was or a .22rf when flo came out ater a chat added .22cf and mod so makes your satement wrong in my case

Maybe I'm missing something here, but since when have licensing authorities covered all .22 centerfire calibers under .22cf?

Surely if you had been granted authority to purchase any .22 centrefire caliber it would state that particular caliber for which you

had requested. i.e. .22Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .220Swift etc etc

Maybe I'm missing something here, but since when have licensing authorities covered all .22 centerfire calibers under .22cf?

Surely if you had been granted authority to purchase any .22 centrefire caliber it would state that particular caliber for which you

had requested. i.e. .22Hornet, .222, .223, .22-250, .220Swift etc etc

how much would you be willing to bet that my licence states .22cf?

your not that far from me so would be willing to prove it!

Looks like il have to ask the fao to clarify, I did ask him at the time if it would be possibly for a larger caliber at a later date he said yes . i was trying to show responibilty at the time. He did say he I could have any .22 but at the time I did not know that there were .22center fire

By the way ive been shooting 12g for many years , was just upgrading to a semi so i could use one trigger instead of 2 and an extra shot , ive been offered a winchester 1400mk11 for £200 asuming its good condition and cycles well is it worth buying or should I pay more for something better!

Edited by kier

how much would you be willing to bet that my licence states .22cf?

your not that far from me so would be willing to prove it!

I'm not a gambling man so won't be taking you up on your first offer.

As for your second offer....no need to prove anything, I wasn't calling you a liar, just asking a question....unless you feel you really need to prove it.

Edited by Browning

I'm not a gambling man so won't be taking you up on your first offer.

As for your second offer....no need to prove anything, I wasn't calling you a liar, just asking a question....unless you feel you really need to prove it.

no nothing to prove when flo came out he suggested I had a centre fire for fox I nominated a calibre his response was we put .22cf then you decide when the time comes which didnt seem right to me but when licence turned up it stated .22rf and .22cf both with mods

Most unusal, never in a million years would Kent grant a CF straight off, the only exception I can think of would perhaps be A) range use only via a club or :good: had forces experience involving firearms, an instructor?

If thats what you were granted then good luck to you, the rest of us had to earn the right to use cf eventually graduating to an open ticket.

Rgds D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn

Don't get an auto, they're rubbish! Get a nice short bolt action. They're more accurate, quieter and 100% reliable. If you buy a 10/22 it'll be certain to jam at the worst possible moment!

Mine doesn't :lol::oops:

.................. and I rarely clean it.