Subsonic game loads

Having just bought a brand new Hushpower 20g o/u to shoot our grey feathered friends with I now find that it is virtually impossible to get subsonic shells in a suitable load ie 5# or 6#.

I have been looking for a few weeks now and, despite being told by the dealer I got the gun from that shells were readily available, I can't find any :yes:

Can anyone shed any light on this or it it really true that no-one makes a game load in subsonic 20g?

Despondently, yours

GH

Gamebore make a 20g 30grm 5s, fiber wad, Hushpowers.

They arnt advertised as the carts are made for Saddlery and Gunroom, although Saddlery and Gunroom have told gamebore to sell them to anyone that wants them.

Your local dealer probably hasnt heard of then either, but if he asks Gamebore for the 20g, 30grm 5s, fiber wad, Hushpowers he will be able to get them.

They are about £230 a 1000 :yes:

post-11306-1249803331.jpg

Best to reload your own but if you can't most clay clubs seem to sell Hull Cartridge subsonic fibre 23g 7 1/2s which are fine for the closer range stuff and about £180 per 1000.

I've just started using 28g 5s in my reloaded 20g subsonics and wow they really do knock stuff down well even at 35-40yds. I think the extra mass of the no5 retains what energy it started with a bit better than the smaller shot so it still has a kick up until the pattern fails.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Best to reload your own but if you can't most clay clubs seem to sell Hull Cartridge subsonic fibre 23g 7 1/2s which are fine for the closer range stuff and about £180 per 1000.

I've just started using 28g 5s in my reloaded 20g subsonics and wow they really do knock stuff down well even at 35-40yds. I think the extra mass of the no5 retains what energy it started with a bit better than the smaller shot so it still has a kick up until the pattern fails.

Many thanks for the replies gentlemem.

That is exactly why I was looking for 5 shot, according to the ballistic data I have seen subsonic shot only loses a few feet over normal speed shot as it retains the velocity better even at 35yds.

Thanks again, I really was beginning to think I had been misled and wasted my money!

GH

To be honest the 20g Hushpower is the only shottie I ever take out now. It only has one barrel I know but it is discreet and will kill all I need to at good ranges without echoing around the county with every shot.

They do tend to shoot low so I have fixed a short 6mm high rib at the breech end of the tube to align with the bead and lift my point of aim up so that I am back on zero.

I notice Greenhunter that you have the o/u version, how do you find it and is the tube as massive as it looks?

Edited by sitsinhedges

To be honest the 20g Hushpower is the only shottie I ever take out now. It only has one barrel I know but it is discreet and will kill all I need to at good ranges without echoing around the county with every shot.

They do tend to shoot low so I have fixed a short 6mm high rib at the breech end of the tube to align with the bead and lift my point of aim up so that I am back on zero.

I notice Greenhunter that you have the o/u version, how do you find it and is the tube as massive as it looks?

To be honest, I've not had chance to use it yet :P Been struggling to find anything suitable to fire in it :/

As for the size of the tube, its not unlike looking down a S/S really. It is pretty big though! I have got to fit an extension to the stock as its a bit short for me and I may try a bit of lead in it to improve the balance, which isn't bad but needs a bit of a tweak, if you know what I mean.

I will let everyone know how I get on with it when I get everything sorted out.

Thanks for your thoughts

GH

To be honest, I've not had chance to use it yet :P Been struggling to find anything suitable to fire in it :/

As for the size of the tube, its not unlike looking down a S/S really. It is pretty big though! I have got to fit an extension to the stock as its a bit short for me and I may try a bit of lead in it to improve the balance, which isn't bad but needs a bit of a tweak, if you know what I mean.

I will let everyone know how I get on with it when I get everything sorted out.

Thanks for your thoughts

GH

What is the diameter of the tube on it :blush: It looks really big on S+G's site.

What is the diameter of the tube on it :/ It looks really big on S+G's site.

Ok, so, found a tape measure, been down to the safe, found the keys, unlocked the safe, got the gun out, measured it in inches, turned the tape over and measured it in centimeters........the things I'll do for some people :P:blush: :blush:

6.5 cms or 2 and 3/16th ins approx.

Seriously though, its not that bad. The only real problems I have with it are the length, it barely fits in my safe, and the fact that I need to buy another gun sleeve for it!

GH

• 5 weeks later...

i have had one for a while getting the hang of it now, could only get seven and half shot, could not bring them down so i loaded a few with six shot, that sorted them out, its like having a bean can on the end of your barrel, must be quiet though because they keep coming in to the decoys. good fun.

I had a play with the Investarm 20g o/u in the shop once and would have bought it if he was not asking too much. I think it would have been a great gun. I plug away still with my 12g Hushpower and if noise is an issue they are brilliant useful guns. Cant imagine shooting (one one of my farms anyway) without one. Alot to be said for being quiet.

• 3 weeks later...

Greenhunter,

I run a 12g Hushpower Mossberg pump and although long, it's just about the only shotgun I take out with me now. It fires a little low, but when you know that it's very effective. Mine was louder than expected to start with, but after a few boxes had been fired through her the noise dropped significantly as the moderator 'got seasoned'. I cleaned it recently and the noise was back up again so the coating inside plays a big part of the sound reduction - it wasn't that dirty as well even after a slab of the Hushpowers had been used so I'll leave the moderator a bit longer next time and clean the rest of the gun as per normal.

I find the Eley Hushpower 12g 30g Fibre 6's a good cartridge, but damm expensive at just over £50 a slab - I have been working out a reloading solution (well, trying to) and have just started a fresh thread in the reloading section to see if any of the experts on the forum have a suitable reloading menu.

Cheers.

I did finally get a couple of slabs of Gamebore 5# subs but I have only been out with it once and despite missing loads with it I can honestly sat I like it.

I have now padded out the comb to lift the point of aim and I intend to give it a go next week.

What I really like is the total lack of recoil and the zing when you shoot it...amazing!! Had a flock of crows land in the same field and had several shots at pigeons but they didn't move at all until I got out of the hide. Perfect for shooting near animals and houses where you couldn't with an ordinary shottie :lol:

GH

You're so right with that - I think the 'shhh-zing' might be the shot going down the barrel, but it's great to have a shotgun that you can use without ear protection (once the moddie is 'seasoned', mind).

I have a favourite spot on a permission nearby which is a cinder path lined with trees on a farm, which forms a long narrow 'window' of sky with bags of cover both sides. I get my face and hands covered up and wait until the local crows come in of an evening, always overflying my ambush spot whilst they mob and call to each other. A small lean out of the cover, gun up, bum belly beak shh-zing, and down comes a crow, then back into cover. The rest of them come whirling back to see what happened, and I do it again, and again. I think the giggling might eventually give me away though.

This is why I need to get my reloading operation up and running as I'm using the Eley Hushpowers up having too much fun.

Edited by Tin Man Work

You're so right with that - I think the 'shhh-zing' might be the shot going down the barrel, but it's great to have a shotgun that you can use without ear protection (once the moddie is 'seasoned', mind).

I have a favourite spot on a permission nearby which is a cinder path lined with trees on a farm, which forms a long narrow 'window' of sky with bags of cover both sides. I get my face and hands covered up and wait until the local crows come in of an evening, always overflying my ambush spot whilst they mob and call to each other. A small lean out of the cover, gun up, bum belly beak shh-zing, and down comes a crow, then back into cover. The rest of them come whirling back to see what happened, and I do it again, and again. I think the giggling might eventually give me away though.

This is why I need to get my reloading operation up and running as I'm using the Eley Hushpowers up having too much fun.

Brilliant :lol:

Really must get out and use mine more :good::yes: