Ticks and tick hooks

henry d

I just found an unwanted guest from Mondays trip into the highlands in the form of a nymph size tick :D

Anyhoo I have just removed it using an O`Tom tick hook and I am well impressed by it. If the little darling wasn`t just below my collarbone then I could have done it in a second but I had to get my specks on and attempt it in the mirror and it took about 5 attempts to eventually get it into the fine jaws and then once there 3 twists and it all came out in a oner, jobs a good un :lol:

Worth a fiver IMHO.

Glad you got it off ok. They're pretty keen to stay put aren't they! I need to buy one of these things but I never get around to it. It's daft really because you always find a tick at stupid o'clock at night when there's nowhere to go and get a remover from! I should have learned from last time, this post just reminded me! :D

Sorry to be naive guys, some of you know I've been shooting around a year now; Are we (shooters) prone to picking these ticks up as well?

How do you know if you have one? and now I know how to take them out, how can you minimise the chances of getting one? What sort of conditions/areas are you more likely to find these?

Sorry to be naive guys, some of you know I've been shooting around a year now; Are we (shooters) prone to picking these ticks up as well?Yes !

How do you know if you have one?Depends on the tick, small nymphs are hard to find, however just rub all over your body and you will feel them attached to you. and now I know how to take them out,(with the tick hooks you just slot them sideways onto the neck of the tick and just rotate the hook and this disengages the mouth parts) how can you minimise the chances of getting one?Tight clothing and gaiters and if you are dressing out a deer put a ring of vaseline around your upper forearms What sort of conditions/areas are you more likely to find these?Long grass heather or bracken areas where there are deer or sheep.

If you wear light coloured clothing the ticks show up well just like little black spiders at the nymph stage and when at the bigger(can`t remember the right name) stage they have a brown half moon shape to the bottom of their bodies, it is this that can inflate to the size of a baked bean if left on your skin :good:

Google ticks for advice, especially BADA !

If you wear light coloured clothing the ticks show up well just like little black spiders at the nymph stage and when at the bigger(can`t remember the right name) stage they have a brown half moon shape to the bottom of their bodies, it is this that can inflate to the size of a baked bean if left on your skin :good:

Google ticks for advice, especially BADA !

Thanks HenryD, sorry to hijack your thread

Not really being clued up on ticks before I seen a rather large one on a friendly hedgehog when out lamping saturday night. So they are about one of my main shoots I decided to order a set of those hooks from bada incase me or the dog end up with some.

Thanks for the info.