What Are Snap Caps?

BigDave15

I have been shooting a while now and I like to think I am quite good but here is one thing I dont get.

WHAT ARE SNAP CAPS? everybody I know never talks about them and I looked on a website at a picture of them once and they look like little ammo holders. But I am Proberly wrong.

Has anybody got them what do they do?

Hiya Dave,

Snap caps are made to be put into your gun when you store it. You fire the gun off into the snap caps,before you store it. They are supposed to keep the springs in the gun in a better condition. Snap caps are the same size as a cartridge, but are empty apart from a spring inside them.

I  have used snap caps for the last 10 years or so, since buying my English side-by-side.

The recommendation by the Gunsmith was to "rest" my gun springs.

However, I have never used them in the previous 30+ years and I have owned many guns ,with no apparent ill effects.

Are they really necessary ?

Any experiences out there ?

I only use snap caps once every five years, this is when plod comes to check out your security, serial numbers, etc, at renewal time........ensure snap caps are in place and hand the gun to the nice Officer, ask if he knows what he's doing...they always say yes............then try to stifle your laughter as he breaks the gun and cops the snap caps in the mush!!.........never fails. :)

• 3 weeks later...