Homeloads & Stuck cases

Gent's...

I've started to run into a bit of bother with my handloads.

Some, but not all - although most - Seem to get stuck in the rifle and either the bolt is hard to shut, or impossible to open.

Now before someone mentions pressure I should explain that these symptoms are seen on UNFIRED cases... cases that we're difficult to chamber usually extract just fine once fired.

Brass is Norma (fired 4-5 times now)

I did some measurements last night and I notice that the Case O.A.L, of the cases I sampled is around 1.740 - 1.745

I'm running with -25 thou off the lands with an O.A.L of 1.875 as usual.

Case trimmer required perhaps?

GB

Edited by garyb

Could well be the issue womble..

I do have a FL die in my kit... although I've only used it for brass given to me by others.

I read on google that .223 "Trimmed Case Length should be- 1.750" - So.. I seem ok there?

So say that I FL size the remaining brass, can I not expect my POI and zero to be different to that of the neck sized fire-formed stuff?

So say that I FL size the remaining brass, can I not expect my POI and zero to be different to that of the neck sized fire-formed stuff?

Could be, but at least you can get them out of the gun without a fight and unless you are target shooting the accuracy should net be that badly affected.

Is there a "good practice" method in regards to how much neck sizing you should do until a FL size is required.

My understanding was that you could get away with neck sizing as many times as the brass would last - providing the rounds we're only fired in the rifle they had been formed for.... ?

depends on the gun and the load. A second hand CZ 527 in 221 FB I picked up on here was only neck sized for a good while (probably 8-10 loadings on the rounds). Those rounds are sticking when I try to eject a live round. Once FL sized they are fine. To my mind, I'll FL size everything, even if it means reduced brass life and slightly worse accuracy (and there is no guarantee on that one). In a hunting rifle in the field I'll never realize the accuracy difference. And for all the more I'm shooting 3-5 loadings of FL sized brass is plenty. The tradeoff is 100% reliability in the field.

Thanks,

Rick

sorry to jump in

but i work a body die to push the body back every firing

i dont like full lenth dies i believe they weaken the case

what i do is neck size/decap- bodybump- tumble- case trim (if needed) then prep

works well for me and as you know consistancy is the key to reloading

all the best bruxie

i dont like full lenth dies i believe they weaken the case

works well for me and as you know consistancy is the key to reloading

Not strictly true as i always full length resize and i have never had any issues with weak cases, I use a .22/250 loaded slightly hot :look: and i have had more than 10 reloads from alot of the cases.

The problem that i find with neck sizing is that you need to keep a check on how many times each case has been reloaded, then full length size every 5ish times of neck sizing.

Even then you will get a tight case that has only been neck sized perhaps 3 times instead of the usual 5 times, so to get round this you need to chamber the neck sized cases every time they have been resized to ensure they chamber correctly.

If you full length resize everytime and check your cases properly then there shouldn't be a problem.

I have yet to struggle to get any sort of decent accuracy when full length resizing in any rifle or caliber that i have loaded.

Edited by miffy

Set your full length die to just bump the shoulder slightly, you dont need to sammi spec the case every time, doing that is what overworks your brass and leads to head seperation over time, especially if you have generous headspace in your chamber. I only bump the shoulders when i notice the bolt starting to get a little snug when chambering, otherwise i just continue to neck size.

Like this?

Bottleneck

Here we want to re-size the case just enough so that it chambers easily in your firearm. If you just blindly resize it as much as the die will do, you risk pushing the shoulder back too far. This will lead to premature case head separation (thinning and separation of the brass down by the case head). In other words, you'll wear your brass out too fast, and risk 'splits' in your brass during firing.

1. Place the shell-holder in your press.

2. Place a lubed case in the shell-holder, and raise it on the ram.

3. Screw the die into your press until you feel slight resistance.

4. Back the case out, and lower the die 1/4 turn.

5. Run the lubed case through the die.

6. Wipe off the lube, and see if the case chambers easily in your firearm.

7. If it did not chamber easily, turn the die down 1/4 turn, and go back to step 5.

8. If so, lock the die down.

One more thing...

I had made up 15 or so rounds.. that had the stuck case problem.

These have now been taken apart using a kinetic hammer (cheers SS)

Would there be an issue in running this brass (complete with primer) through my FL die, with the decapping pin taken out?

I wouldnt want to use any lube...

As a test I tried it on one case, and it sized it fine without any sticking in the die!

Be careful - one stuck case and it maybe goodnight to your die-even if you dont ruin the die, it takes ages to get one out ( believe me i know :yes:)

Hmm i'm worried about putting grease into the rifle though.....

I got keen - I've done 10 without a problem thus far :)

One more thing...

I had made up 15 or so rounds.. that had the stuck case problem.

These have now been taken apart using a kinetic hammer (cheers SS)

Would there be an issue in running this brass (complete with primer) through my FL die, with the decapping pin taken out?

I wouldnt want to use any lube...

As a test I tried it on one case, and it sized it fine without any sticking in the die!

You should be carefull as the decapping rod also expands/flares the case mouth on your down stroke back to .002 under your cal size ie in .224 it will measure .222 so be carefull not to close the mouth to much as a bullet is a poor expander & i wouldent advise it. For the cost of primers & your case the most valuable component of reloading i would just FL-size the case trim & start over again with primer etc.

I neck size but any sticky cases are put to 1 side & i FL-size them or do it 1 in 5 or 6 times of use i FL-size the case.