Almost inperceptable dink in barrell?

Nial

Normally after cleaning my gun I have a good look from the stock end, and it

normally looks good.

Last night I held them up the other way and noticed what looked like a _tiny_ bit of

dirt left. I gave it another scrub and checked again and it was still there.

It's so small that I can only see it when looking _very_ carefully in the mirror

finsh of the bore. (I think I can also see where the rib between the

barrels has been brased to the barrel).

I then noticed on the outside of the barrel a very small nick in the same place

as what I was looking at.

As far as I know the gun's been like this since I had it.

I know everyone's going to say to take it to a gunsmith, and I will, but I wondered

if anyone else knows of similar small dinks in guns that have been declared safe?

Thanks,

Nial

Are sure that it is not a piece of lead fouling that you can see . If it is as small as you say then it wont really matter and certinly is not dangerous . As for being able to see where the centre rib is brazed to the barrel , I very much doubt it . If you can see where the rib has been brazed then you would have a major problem with the gun . I am assuming you mean that you can see where the rib is joined by looking down the barrel . For this to happen the barrels would have to be paper thin and highly dangerous . I very ,very much doubt it . I have never heard of this in a gun .

Harnser .

Are sure that it is not a piece of lead fouling that you can see . If it is as small as you say then it wont really matter and certinly is not dangerous .

I'm pretty sure and its position exactly matches the scratch in the blueing on the outside of the barrel.

As for being able to see where the centre rib is brazed to the barrel , I very much doubt it . If you can see where the rib has been brazed then you would have a major problem with the gun . I am assuming you mean that you can see where the rib is joined by looking down the barrel . For this to happen the barrels would have to be paper thin and highly dangerous . I very ,very much doubt it . I have never heard of this in a gun .

Harnser .

That might just have been my eyes going funny after staring down the bore into the light for so long.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I think I'll keep using it but keep a close eye on this.

Nial.

Edited by Nial

I was recently foolish enough to lean my barrels up and they fell on to the corner of some concrete. :yes:

There are small linear lumps on top and bottom barrels, I imagine larger than the ones in your gun by what you have said. These have caused no problems, after firing a few hundred cartridges through.

So should be fine :look:

Have just left the gun off at a gunsmith.

He said there was some lead residue in the barrels, but said that they

were fine.

I don't think he saw what I was talking about, but if he couldn't see it

then I'm happy enough.

I was also worried that there was wear on the barrel hinge pins, I thought

I could feel slop when you grab the gun by the bottom of the fore-end

and shake it from side to side. He pointed out this was actually the fore-end being

slightly sloppy, the hinge pins are fine.

I've left it in for a clean/service.

Nial.

I think you are a bit of a worrier Nial . But you carnt be to careful with faults on guns . A looked after gun will rarely give any problems and are made to last a life time as long as they are not put away wet .

Harnser .

The thing is that I've come to shooting with no history or background so I've no reference to what's reasonable etc.

I'm an engineer so am pretty sympathetic to the gun as a 'machine' and it's been pretty well looked after

since I got it.

It's an old Lanber which I think will probably be changed (or added to) within a year, but it's good to know it's solid and

safe.

Nial.

Any obstruction in a barrel must be removed so as not to increase pressure any more than is safe to shoot.

Regarding George's comment. I really do not believe what I am reading on here. Have you no common sense at all.

Ask a good Gunsmith for his opinion.

Thanks!

I do indeed have common sense. These are very small dinks, no more than 0.5mm depressions. Of course if they worsened or caused any issues when in use I would refer the barrels to a gunsmith.