How do you make a hide for rabit shooting?

johnnyjitsu

I have bought a sheet of Jake pyke realtree camo material- the stuff you can see through but wondered if anyone have any tips on how to use it.

I had it held up with snapped off branches which was ok but not ideal.

Also do you shoot over it or cut a hole in it to shoot out of? In Low light my scope had difficalty seeing through it?

Rabbits came out and didnt seem to see me- however how long do you think i should wait before firing?

They come out about 3 mteres from burrows- impatientlyat about 40 yards i took a shot and missed and spooked the lot of them. Should i wait longer for an easier/closer shot?

Any tips?

hi john,

i usualy make naturaul hides with my own hole poked through when im shooting a sitty tree for pigeons. say the rabbits are coming out of a hedge. position yourself about 25 yrds down wind from the area the rabbits will come out. if the grass is nice and short then you can just keep the gun poked under cammo net until the rabbits come out. the rabbits sence of smell is very good so being down wind is important. if iit is completely impossible to be downwind then dont wear any smellys and dont smoke whilst youre shooting. if you find the rabbits can see your movments through the cammo net then you can either stay completely motionless or double the cammo net over. i must stress, wait until a rabbit is at least 4 yrds from its hole before you shoot as if you acsidently do a shot which isnt lethal straight away then you can manage to run up and neck it before it twist and turns its way back into its hole. always shoot to the capabilities of yourself and your rifle. if you have any doubt of a shot then dont take it.

good luck, hope this helped,

Aaron. ???

Cheers Aaron great help mate- using natural i take it that you use branches too?

yes i build a hide of branches around wooden posts to make a perminant hide. if im in an area with a lot of pine, i use pine branches. if im in a ope field then i'll find a hedge whjich is fairly thick and bend it and cut it to shape around me. this makes superb hides which completely blend in with surroundings. i'll try and get a photo up now, hang on.

hides arent always needed, ive shot rabbits before just by sitting quietly and being very very patient with my muzzle pointed where theyre going to be. the point im trying to make is try every method ,with and without hides. build your own techniques which suit you and you'll be fine :blink:

Am i missing something or is this a wind-up?-building a hide for rabbit shooting?-why would you waste your time?-you also mention that in low light you have difficulty seeing through the net-low light plus a net!-you must have the most nervous bunnies in the country if you require all this to kill a rabbit-i live about 8 miles from Wing and have never used a hide for bunnies in 30 years.As for how far from the hole the rabbit must be-2 or 3 metres?-as far as possible would be the best bet if you cant be certain of killing it cleanly in which case you should'nt of taken the shot.If you are going to shoot succesfully over a burrow you need to position yourself about 25 metres downwind and keep still-make sure your face is covered and be silent-when you take a shot you need a one shot one kill scenario and if the rabbit drops dead (as it should) then just leave it there till you pack up.The best tool for this job will always be a .22 rimfire with a silencer and sub sonic rounds-any airgun ,even a silenced pre-charge, are a bit on the loud side.p.s. you might want to try a pointed pellet as they make a little less noise on impact-every little helps. :stupid:

I suppose it depends how many you expect to shoot in an evening. I do all mine by stalking (without camo atm).

I usually go straight from work so on the fields by about 6:15pm and shoot until the light goes. In about 2 hours shooting, if I bag 3 I'd call that a good night but then I eat mine so much more than that and freezer space is going to be a problem.

Plus I'm not sure I have the patience to just sit in one place for 2 hours, I prefer the walk around and convince myself I'm getting exercise too.

• 2 weeks later...

Im just an old fashion, deben tracer on top of me 12ft pound springer and stalk em always up wind and from 20-35 yrd i get a good 7 or 8 each night, if you get out about midnight and have a good 4 to 5 hours out you could get many more as long as you have plenty of quarry, nets are for pigeon and crows, air gunning is about stelth and stalking and its all about the head shot that took you 5 mins to get thats so satisfying, and not as boring as sat unde the net.

Edited by mal mason