Shady's Gone

jmooney

Today we sent my sweet girl to the bridge. I knew this was coming but that didn't make it any easier.

We met Shady shortly after we were married. I had inquired about adopting a Setter from a wonderful organization called ACES (Another Chance for English Setters) and the Setter I had asked about was too far away but a wonderful woman who I would come to know over the next few years as I volunteered with ACES named Ursula said: "I think I have a dog for you" and sent me this picture:

637939268_KfHQK-L.jpg

I took one look and said we'd take her. Ursula passed away a few years ago from cancer. I told Shady that if she needed anything when she got where she was going to look for her and she'd help her out.

Shady came home with us shortly thereafter and had no trouble adjusting to life with her little brother Hunter. She also had no trouble adjusting to life on the sofa:

637938956_GEgmi-L.jpg

637938976_qF8fn-L.jpg

We soon found that she was not a fan of loud noises, especially thunderstorms, she'd go nuts trying to get away from them:

637939276_TaPkq-L.jpg

She also welcomed with open arms an old girl named Molly who needed a place to retire. They never played or even seemed to pay each other much mind but they liked having each other close. Adopted sisters together again in a better place:

637939157_MvcDY-L.jpg

Shady loved like you wouldn't believe, but she still had a little tinge of sadness or something that you'd catch a glimpse of from time to time. Shady's early years were rough, she was a stray and on her own for quite a while before she came to us. Her teeth were in bad shape and the vet believed it was from foraging for food while she was on her own.

637939056_ancHa-L.jpg

She was always happy to find a soft place to camp out:

637939192_9MTym-L.jpg

Of course dislike for loud noise aside, Shady was a bird dog and loved to run and chase squirrels and point tweety birds like they all do:

637939032_k2mqQ-L.jpg

Then one day Shady made a new friend. One that loved to give her hugs and cuddle with her. Shady always loved kids and she'd let them crawl all over her without batting an eye:

637939222_YjQQF-L.jpg

637939253_pDA6D-L.jpg

637939069_C6X7A-L.jpg

Shady has basically been there since the beginning of our life as it is now. It's very strange to know that she's not going to be napping in the kitchen when I go and look in there later. It's strange that for the first time in almost 9 years there's only one dog pitter pattering around the house.

Shady was my first setter but much more than that she was a good dog. She'll be sorely missed but never forgotten.

Rest easy sweet girl we love you.

637939114_4Crm5-L.jpg

Sorry to hear of your loss, It`s always sad to loose a true friend like that.

Bit of topic, but do you have an Ikea in the US, cause you got the same TV cabinet then us :sly:

Thank you all for your kind thoughts and words. I really do miss her but it's for the best.

Guinea Fowl: Yup, that's from Ikea.....most of our furniture is. It's cracking stuff and well priced. We have the end tables and book cases that match that stand too.

to Jim and family..what a cracking tribute..sorry to hear of your sad news, the one bad thing about owning a dog....

i guess you have some cracking memories that will make you laugh every now and then.

keep them close to heart,

Im trying to write this with my old springer and cocker pup running around me like a pair of dinlows :good: agh!!! looks like the misses has lost her knickers again...dogs egh!!!! B)

keep smiling mate,

john