Ploughed in beans

Ferret Master

Hi,

Not done a write up in absolutely ages so I'm pulling my finger out and getting one done!

Stillsy being the young keen pigeon shooter than he is, was up at the crack of dawn on Saturday and set up in the field at 6am. He had build a decent hide with his Dad alongside a hedgerow under an Oak. I meanwhile crawled out of my pit at 8am after recovering from helping out on year 7 camp with the school and went to inspect some new permission I have got for ferreting.

I spoke to him on the phone during the morning and he said it had been good initially but had quietened down so I didn't bother going out to join him.

Later on that day I was cycling to the pub with my mates with the intention of picking some sloes on the way. I then got a phone call announcing that somebody was running out of cartridges, hadn't had a drink since 6am and there were pigeons there again. No contest. I turned around and half a mile from home my bike broke. :good: Managed to get home, grabbed the gun, 100's of cartridges (ever hopeful :good: ) and some drink while convincing my Dad it was a good idea to drive me 25 minutes to meet Stillsy.

First stage of the mission complete with only minor mechanical errors and we were on our way. :good: Now we were making good progress until the road all of a sudden closed due to re-surfacing. :oops: A long detour later and we were back on track. Arrived at the gate where I would have to get out and walk to the hide, went to the boot of the car to get my wellies out... which weren't there. <_< So all minor distractions aside I picked up the back of drinks and biscuits and set off to climb the gate. I then felt a wet patch on my leg; a can of coke had burst and was trickling out of the bag onto my leg stickifying everything in the process. <_<

Finally arrived at the hide and after giving Stillsy a much needed drink we were all set to go. Succeeded in dropping a few more pigeons although not all could be picked in the surrounding hedge and woods. :/ The birds were spotting the decoys from a great height and just folding their wings and committing to the pattern which consisted of a few randomly placed deeks, a magnet off to the right and some dead birds on cradles. :good:

Got collected by the farmer in his nice new Disco and while driving home went to check on some ducks... got sidetracked when we noticed a hot air balloon had landed in another one of the farmers fields and the promise of a free bottle of wine when the recovery vehicle arrived meant we paid another trip back here later on. :yes:

Finally got back to Stillsy's at 7:45pm and unfortunately I was unable to help him pluck and dress the 58 woodies as my parents were going out at 8pm and I had to babysit. :oops: Good effort mate. ;)

DSC00169-2.jpg

Here is the EOD shot. with 58 woodies, a crow and a rook.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,

FM :)

Was a good little day! shame we didnt pick 10 or so! but for the first time i think i got things right was seeing birds 100 + meters and they were turning and folding to get in! hardly any flared...or werent interested! shame i shot like an absolute ******! ah well! cheers ollie, will let u know when im next out!

Stillsy