2,4mm (No. 7,5) fine for pigeons?

Hubertus

Hi Guys,

have still a lot of catridges in 2,4mm (28 and 32 Gramms). Has anyone tried it on pigeons? I have only used No. 6 before. A friend of mine says he uses No. 7,5 for mallard and pigeons. Was wondering because thought before they are too small.

Any opinions?

Best wishes, Hubertus

i have on occasion used 7.5 when ive run out of 6's, and they are supprisingly effective, i think this is becuase i run open chokes and there is a higher pellet count, however by choice i use 6's as i like to be able to take on any quarry within reason that i encounter, and i dont believe personally anything below 6's is enough for crows, ive found 6's are even pushing it a bit

if your just after woodies i believe 7.5 is probably the best shot size, but personally i rarely am, so i use game bore 6's 28g

My "stock" cartridge is 30 or 32 gram No 6 but I had to fall back on some 28 gram 7.5's once and like dunganick was pleasantly surprised as to how effective they were on pigeons over and behond the decoys.

I also agree that 6's are the minimum size for crows and if I was going out specifically to shoot them I would take some 5's with me.

Interesting article in sporting shooter, testing various size cartridges, the conclusion arrived at was that size 7's 32 gr with skeet choke gives an effective killing range of 45 yards, cylinder 43 yards and they therfore consider this the best combination.

I usually use 30 gr 6's with 1/4 & 1/2 but i am going to try 32gr 7,s with cylinder & 1/4 next time out. :rolleyes: