Recoil problems

evansaj23

I fitted a Geltek pad on my 682 a couple of months ago, it seems to make a difference.

I did buy a Kick-EEz first but didn't like how sticky it felt on the surface, thought it might catch on my clothing. I also wasn't too keen on maybe having to grind my stock to make it fit flush. At least with the Beretta pad it is very straightforward to fit and remove

It is a new to me gun, have been about 10 times with it, sometimes noproblem then others my shoulder aches the following day/days, I had the gun fitter when i bought it, and all seemed well. When you mean gun down or up you mean do i have the gun up to me shoulder ready to shoot or move the gun into position whilst aiming, the latter being the one i try most, i am using 28gram carts eley the last ones.

Andy,

28g cartridges can be quite punchy. You could try 24g/21g cartridges as they should reduce recoil a little. My guess though is that you're not mounting the gun correctly all the time. Get yourself a lesson with a good instructor and get him to check your gun fit and mount. It'll be money well spent and probably not more than a gel tek pad!!

I notice you shoot at Worsley sometimes? You could always book a lesson with our own PW coach extrordinaire CHARD :hmm:

He coaches some of the countries top shots, and is a holder of the coveted BLUE CARD I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you out for a small fee, (a cup of tea and a bacon roll should do the trick) ;)

Let us know how you get on.

Andy,

28g cartridges can be quite punchy. You could try 24g/21g cartridges as they should reduce recoil a little. My guess though is that you're not mounting the gun correctly all the time. Get yourself a lesson with a good instructor and get him to check your gun fit and mount. It'll be money well spent and probably not more than a gel tek pad!!

I notice you shoot at Worsley sometimes? You could always book a lesson with our own PW coach extrordinaire CHARD :hmm:

He coaches some of the countries top shots, and is a holder of the coveted BLUE CARD I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help you out for a small fee, (a cup of tea and a bacon roll should do the trick) ;)

Let us know how you get on.

B) :lol::lol:

Yes, half an hour with me and you'll never be the same again :lol:

all this advise and know onw has asked what gun he has, if its a ultralight or a light game gun then im not suprised its kicking, he could be 90 year old. or 18 yo 8 stone wet through,

so mate, whet gun have you got, how old are you and what sort of build,, cos something isnt right.

lee

all this advise and know onw has asked what gun he has, if its a ultralight or a light game gun then im not suprised its kicking, he could be 90 year old. or 18 yo 8 stone wet through,

so mate, whet gun have you got, how old are you and what sort of build,, cos something isnt right.

lee

It's a Beretta 686s, bought from Bamfords, nr. Chorley. He says the gun was fitted when he bought it so age and build is irrelevant. If a gun fits, it fits. Oh and he comes from Rochdale if that helps :unsure:

Incorrect gun fit normally gives you a sore cheek due to the comb being either too low or too high. If you are holding the butt away from your shoulder before pulling the trigger, this will increase recoil also.

If it not these then obviously you are susceptible to recoil just like me.

Various people here say that they do not feel recoil but it is culmative and will affect you sometime in your life. All guns recoil, some more than others, try another make of gun and see how that feels or shoot a lighter load.

Ask someone who is knowledgeable about shotguns because excessive recoil will put you off shooting because it will not go away.

Edited by BlaserF3

and where does he state its a 682? and its not like a gun dealer has told someone a gtun fits to either get rid or for profit, so if he is 90 year old and 8 stone your saying if his gun fits then there should be no need for him getting a sore shoulder :yes:

That's exactly what i'm saying. However, if of course this 90yr old isn't mounting the gun properly he will probably suffer some discomfort.

As already stated recoil is a cumulative problem and will affect most people eventually. Correct mount and softer shooting cartridges will lessen the effect but the over the years most people will feel some effect whether it's physical or mental.

I know the OP has a 686s as i checked his old posts. You're right in saying the shop may have sold him the gun for a quick profit but it's unlikely as most dealers would want the repeat business and add on sales from a new shooter. If he says he had the gun fitted and it was fine then i believe him.

The fact is he's suffering from the effects of recoil for one reason or another, IFthe gun fits, as he says it does, then i would say it's a problem with his mount. As i said earlier his best bet is to have a lesson with a good instructor to iron out any problem before it gets any worse. I doubt a Gel Tek pad would cure the problem.

By the way i'll hazard a guess that Andy is about ..........23 :lol:

Just because a gun has been "fitted" doesn't mean all will be well even if the gun mount is reasonable.....I bought a Browning Ultra XS Prestige 30" Sporter with adjustable comb some time ago from Brierley Guns, fitted by James Hand. He took a fair time fitting and selecting a gun he then recommended, namely the Ultra, and I bought it. The stock was reworked to cast on as I'm left handed and a Kickeeze pad fitted. It still battered me, though, even using 21g shells and I added a Cheekeze pad before the recoil stopped hammering me. My results with it were very inconsistent on the clays. I've had lessons with a CPSA coach regularly. Then I found my beloved Beretta semi autos, and what a difference. Same person, same gun mount, different gun - little felt recoil, no battered cheek, and the clays break to bits a whole lot more than with the Ultra. So while a good coach and a professionally fitted gun of good quality should theoretically solve recoil battering you, it might not. Not all guns suit everyone, even if professionally fitted. :yes::lol: :lol:

Edited by Condor

Thanks for all the advice, and the banter between yourselves, And for those that asked i am 42 years old, 5,8 in height and because i used to play a lot of rugby a number of years ago, my body isnt what it was, problally doesnt help that i still like a drink like when i was playing, if i said i was of a larger build. As i dont suffer everytime i go shooting i think it must be something i am doing wrong so the idea of a lesson sound best, [will be in touch chard if the offer is still there :yes: ] it does have an L on the trigger guard so think it might be a lightweight. Hope all the questions hav been answered.

the idea of a lesson sound best, [will be in touch chard if the offer is still there :o ]

:lol::lol::no:

Errr yep, Chard's your man. He's an advocate of the Joan Bakewell 'Move...Mount...Miss' method, and holds the coveted CPSA BLUE card, which is probably the equivalent of a black belt in karate!! :D

You'll be in safe hands :yes:

:lol::no: :o

Errr yep, Chard's your man. He's an advocate of the Joan Bakewell 'Move...Mount...Miss' method, and holds the coveted CPSA BLUE card, which is probably the equivalent of a black belt in karate!! :D

You'll be in safe hands :yes:

Indeed, it's a genuine Turbo Blue Bitchmutha CPSA Go-Faster card :lol:

It shows I'm qualified in all sorts of stuff :lol:

And I can drive cars into the side of John Deere tractors :lol:

dsc01510n.jpg

I hope you're suitably impressed :lol: