Olie. Sussex Spaniel Bitch

butchdickason

Unfortunately there will be no little Olie,s as she had an ovairian cyst and had her repro bits removed.

She is the complete package as far as working, very easy to handle but a lot slower than Springer/Cockers, which suits me fine, my last Springer was a Kamakazie Rocket and hard work, Olie is just so easy it is a pleasure.

Butch

Edited by butchdickason

Butch, I'm clear across the moors, if not the big pond, and Sussex are scarce here too but even scarcer is a working Sussex. The Yanks have lopped some of the leg off them and essentially use them for trying out new hairdos and coat length, and that's about it. But over your way--my girl originated in Gloucs--you can get onto some trial folks like the Cadwells (Jubilwell prefix: http://www.jubilwell.co.uk/sussex-clumber-spaniel-dogs.php ) and feel right at home with ol' Olie.

They do want a job so as to strut their stuff, good on you for giving yours that job as a gundog.

GembowithaMouthful.jpg

Gembo4.jpg

Cheers,

MG

• 3 years later...

great to see another sussex. i've recently got a sussex from william cadwell. she's a little stunner.

shes only now about 16 weeks but we have fun with good ole knotted socks and she loves to play with my 14 month cocker. i'll try any upload some photos tomorrow.

Defo to the photos, Stevo - especially shots of a Jubilwell dog. Otherwise, I'll have to keep flashing the old girl, now 8 years

ron12-30-10592b.jpg

and as Sussex do, getting stronger with age.

Keep stoking the retrieving enthusiasm - Suss got a lot of gob to work with in that department.

MG

hi there mate.

thanks for the advice on the sussex. any tips and advice is a great help i'd rather be pointed in the right direction rat5he than find i'm doing it wrong and endup spoiling a good pup for no one but @yself to blame

tbh i'm pretty much a novice when it comes to wor4ing dogs. i've always been around working dogs but

its only now starting to take hold of me. its great working the young cocker, he really is full of energy

Stevo, get the Sussex competitive with the cocker, which will get you benefits for both as gundogs, and get Mike Smith's book to help you along with training the two of them. My old girl's competitive with my Labs and I've won a number of wagers on which breed was the better retriever - I don't necessarily mean working as a retriever, I mean straight up retrieving. She carries 14-15 pound Canada geese like they're a lunch pail and the Labs can manage the same only with more effort. But that's because she was trained as a retriever on top of the questing work and put the tools she was born with (gob) to good use.

Would really like to know what's become of Butch (who started this thread) and his Olie - anybody got any word, as it's been a couple of years passing before the thread was revived?

MG

hanks for the advice there mate.

i'll have a look for the book you mentioned.

i'm really looking forward to start training with her.

i've added some photos to the thread at the top of the list. our companions i think it is.

sorry for the slow reply.

been a wee bit busy with work.

cheers steve