Need a new laptop

Mungler

My trusty laptop is officially on it's last legs. It's made me proud though.

So, I need a new one in the next week or so and I saw that Dell are doing some deals.

What's the word from the techhy folk on the best laptop deals around.

Please - no suggestions for a Mac or something home made running Linux.

Ta very and live long and prosper my techhy friends.

depends what you want to do with it sunshine - how big a screen / how portable rugged etc.

Rugged ? Portable ? :devil: You are surely taking the mick ?! :lol:

It will sit on Mungs kitchen table mission control centre and not move for months unless his youngest gets near it. Once that happens it better be rugged and quickly portable ! :no:

My trusty laptop is officially on it's last legs. It's made me proud though.

So, I need a new one in the next week or so and I saw that Dell are doing some deals.

What's the word from the techhy folk on the best laptop deals around.

Please - no suggestions for a Mac or something home made running Linux.

Ta very and live long and prosper my techhy friends.

I don't think you can go too far wrong with a Dell. I've got loads of them, on the plus side their pretty cheap and the customer service / support is excellent but do buy a long warranty (I usually get 3-4 years on site).

On the minus side, their cheap, so they don't always last that long (hence getting the warranty). My Latitude (D620) is three years old now, still going strong (after being fixed/replaced 3 times). I get next day on-site service and it's great, in effect I've had 3 new laptops in three years :devil:

Don't be a cheapskate :no::lol::P

My wife had a Sony Vaio something-or-other for the past 8 years. It was switched on all day, every day, from about 8am to midnight, for 8 years :no:

We've only just ****** it off, because it kept switching itself off (warped motherboard or something) and she's decided to get a proper PC, because she had posture problems using a laptop every day.

We paid about £900 for it back then, but they're cheaper now :devil:

You know it makes sense :drinks:

Edited by Chard

I have a dell inspirion,it's packed in a couple of times with battery trouble (friends is the same)and now it's just quit all together,I think maybe it's the Vista software is ****.Tried using the recovery disks,but it won't respond.Unless your gonna spend big money get a desktop PC,Lasts far longer I reckon.

ACER all the way! had toshiba before always gone wrong somehow (cooling fans go first) I use an ACER i bought from pc world, I do Mech and Elec Drawings everyday on it and its faultless! Have seen the Sony ones and they do seem like the dogs ******** but then the price.....

just my 2 pennies worth!

rob

Do you find money burns holes in your pockets?

Yes. I like "stuff". :hmm::lol:

That is cheap though. I paid £1100.00 for a Dell all singing, all dancing laptop about 4 years ago and it is still going strong now. :blink:

I have a Sony Vaio for everything, business and pleasure and its the best I've had by a long chalk and I've had a few in my time.

Second choice would be Toshiba, my last one was on almost constantly for 3 years and never let me down. Just ran out of hard drive space...

Dells and Acers are fine but built to a price IMHO.

Cheers

Roger