Fed up of getting told no

DannyNCC

Reading posts such as these makes me realise just how fortunate we are to have the land we have to shoot on, but I think a lot of that is due to growing up in a small but very rural location where everyone more or less knows everyone else(but that is rapidly changing)or has at least heard of them.

I still believe the best advice anyone can give to anyone struggling is to consider finding a local shoot and enquiring about beating. If you have a half decent dog so much the better. Ask around in your local pubs, shops etc in good time for next season. Beating means you get to meet lots of other like-minded people and opens up lots of opportunities given time. Even if driven game isn't your thing the post season roost shoots may be.

I was rude to some generic religion crew who turned up on my door step, at the time i had just nodded off after driving from leicester to Glasgow and back in one go for work. I bear this in mind when door knocking, sometimes its not the land owner being rude its just I turned up at a wrong moment.

Edited by Ralphster

My FIRST permission believe it or not was because I was speaking to a chap I was buying LAMB from. I bought the lamb and was loading it in the car when a flock of rooks flew over! I made a comment, and the farmer complained about them eating the sheep feed. I mentioned I was a keen shooter and insured and got talking! I got the perm! Carrion, rabbits and Pigeon. Lost that when they built the bypass at Haydon Bridge :no:

My second perm was a shooting estate! I beat for the keeper for FREE in return for some pigeon shooting out of season. Eventually the keeper went bankrupt and I lost that too!

Since then Hawkeye, Roblatch, LAP etc offered me a few days out! They have been really kind!

I have now been beating for a syndicate for 2 years and had keepers days "4 a year" but still no pigeon or rabbit shooting out of season :no:

Beating is a great way in! You have a good time beating, and can pick up some good tips on the way! Keepeds day are good too! Where else do you get driven days for free?

I bought a cheap shotgun battered old Baikal side by side saved it from the scrap heap. Tidied up I told a lad a work about it "oh I know a lad wants one". So the "lad" bought the gun. He is mates with mates so I ended up taking him foxing and I got to go for the last day on my first ever driven pheasant shoot. Brilliant day two birds in the first drive dog's first day beating and first retrieve for pheasant. It just goes to show that shooting opportunities come from all sorts of places, and shooters are a generous bunch mostly.

The best time to get permission is when there are birds on the fields.

See the birds , then find the farm, point out that there are loads of birds on field X and ask if you can shoot the birds on that particular field.

You are not looking to shoot all their land, for ever and ever, just that field while the birds are on it.

Trust me, that works and the rest of the land, etc., will follow, if you do a good job.

I don't often agree with Cranfield, however he is not far out. It wont be long before the birds are tucking in to the rape on a daily basis, You also need to target potential fields which will be drilled in the coming months.

At the moment farmers are like the rest of us looking out the window at the rain with no chance of the land drying up for a good while,,,

Not sure what you do but I take detours too and from jobs so I can check out fields...

If you find a find a field and track the farmer down (not while he is having his lunch) mention you have noticed the birds eating his crops and just ask to shoot for that day.

Farmers seem to recognise BASC insurance so I take my cert and mention I have it, personally I never have asked a farmer to sign any paper work for a days shooting as your results will speak for you self.

Hope that helps

TEH

Edited by The Essex Hunter

I was discussing this with someone via PM yesterday , although I am lucky enough to have three farms to shoot on they are not huge and I can go a long time between worth while days

I am currently looking for more and have knocked on a few doors without luck , I said to the other chap the problem is that there are just not enough birds causing damage around here at the moment , when there are its always easier to find some new ground.