Working Out Distance With Mil Dots

crowdie2013

Hi; shot shotguns for years but new to rifle shooting and was just reading online about calculating distance using mil dots: do you fellas do this?

I was zeroing .17hmr yesterday at what I thought was finally approx 100yds but measured it today with a 50metre tape and it was actually nearer 115m (125yds) 25% out!

Is this something you just get better at gauging with experience or do many folk use the mil dots or range finders? Its just Ive seen plenty on you tube with 150+ m or 200+ metre shots and was thinking how do they know the distance with any certainty? From yesterdays shooting I wont be attempting anything further until I get a bipod and a calmer day!!

http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-Distances-With-a-Mil-Dot-Rifle-Scope

To work out the distance with mil dots you need to know the size of the target all ok if you are if you are shooting a foot square steel plate or a 6 inch paper target but not so much if you are shooting at a rabbit, fox or deer, if you have to estimate the size of the target you may as well estimate the distance to the target.

I'm not that interested in the distance to the target just weather it is in range or not and you soon get a feel for that same a when shooting with a shotgun.

depends on scope, mine is true mil dot calculations at x10, you get used to size of quarry through the scope the more you do I find, and on my patch I know field points such as bushes, trees field bends etc, I calculate this from sprayer wheelings knowing this from farmer as they are fairly spot on these days with sat-nav on the tractors.

I'm not that interested in the distance to the target just weather it is in range or not and you soon get a feel for that same a when shooting with a shotgun.

This more or less sums it up for me.

I sort of understand the theory behind it all but just simply aren't that interested due to the ranges I shoot at. I will endeavour to get as close as possible to my target, but my first thought on seeing a roe for example, isn't how far away it is, but whether I think it's within range or not. If I think it is, based on many years experience, (I'll still try and get a bit closer) then I'm totally indifferent as to how far away it is; if I don't think it's within range, then the same applies. After I've taken the shot however, I'm very interested to know how far away it was.

My mate on the other hand, is a techno freak; he knows just about everything there is to know about mil dots etc. He has range finders, an app on his phone (Agri' plot. I have it too, but never use it!) which tells him the size and distance of any field on our land, and one of the most sophisticated Schmidt & Bender 'scopes you can buy. With it, from our land, you can actually see the targets at the other end of the butts at the bottom of the Fells on MOD land ! I envy those like him who can work it out in the time it takes to close the bolt, but it just doesn't float my boat at all I'm afraid. Many has been the time he's said, just before I'm about to shoot; "Don't forget you're shooting up/down hill, mate". "Yeah, right". I just take aim and shoot regardless. Each to their own.

Hi; shot shotguns for years but new to rifle shooting and was just reading online about calculating distance using mil dots: do you fellas do this?

I was zeroing .17hmr yesterday at what I thought was finally approx 100yds but measured it today with a 50metre tape and it was actually nearer 115m (125yds) 25% out!

Is this something you just get better at gauging with experience or do many folk use the mil dots or range finders? Its just Ive seen plenty on you tube with 150+ m or 200+ metre shots and was thinking how do they know the distance with any certainty? From yesterdays shooting I wont be attempting anything further until I get a bipod and a calmer day!!

Don't believe all you read/see on the internet is a good start.

In the absence of a bi-pod I have used my gun slip rolled up with a jumper in between to pad it out. Works a treat.

May also be worth noting to really think about your shots and breathe through it properly and take your time.

Yes, we all make errors in range. I have seen rangefinders get it wrong by hitting the wrong object most likely? What yo do is take account of these factors before you decide its a takeable shot. Shooting in practice and paper has to be different than shooting live quarry

We all miss and we all wound on occasions that's just a fact but if its happening because of the range .......................

Personally I shoot a fair bit at what some might consider long range on vermin but I still work on the same % first round kill I do not believe in prayer shooting living creatures. "a second shot fired is to fix an occasional mistake a third is a disgrace one shot is all it should take"