NEW PUP HELP

hunting

Hi guys

i am getting a cocker pup in February and basically i would like all the help i can get i.e.

when to start using different training methods, when to put her into the outside kennel?

what to check when buying one?

what should i get for the pup when i first get her?

when should i taker her out on her first day beating?

when to introduce her to gun fire?

all help wanted

CHEERS

When you get your new bundle of joy you want to spend as much time with him as possible to get a really good bond.

I would concentrate on recall and sit first.

You are quite a way of beating it all depends on the dog but usually after 12 months old but your dog needs to be rock steady or the keeper will soon ask you to put him back in the truck but you have months of fun ahead of you

I wish you all the best with it and there are some good lads on here who will help with any questions you might have

Get a book or DVDs, there are lots out there, I have spamiel training by joe irving, and the dvd set by Dave lisett.

As someone said, recall is key, most experienced people will tell you, a spaniel will hunt anyway it's getting it to come backA book by pippa mattinson called total recall is a very wordy book but I works.

I read the books and watch the DVDs ( they are all variations on a theme)and jot down what I'm going to tackle, just twice a day for a few minutes, sometimes less that that but little and often laying down the foundations for further training.

I have a 5 month old springer and the training is coming along slowly but I was still running after him yesterday when he got his nose down in some bracken lol.

Good luck

Hi guys

i am getting a cocker pup in February and basically i would like all the help i can get i.e.

when to start using different training methods, when to put her into the outside kennel?

what to check when buying one?

what should i get for the pup when i first get her?

when should i taker her out on her first day beating?

when to introduce her to gun fire?

all help wanted

CHEERS

I used the joe irving book as a reference. I asked a dog trainer ( lab's) and she said what do you want out of your dog....?

Chip is about what I wanted, as I have found out they need a lot of work to keep on top of, I would say a bitch will not be so forward.

Also a friend told me ( and he was right) if you just have one dog (pup) the temptation to take them out to early is very hard.

He said " when you have 2-3 then you will use the older dog and can take longer with a pup"

You cant wind back the clock as they are what you make them....that is one bit of advice I cant pass on

TEH

Read,read read,the Joe irving book is good

there's a book called (The working cocker)by Peter jones maesydderwen cockers

Very informative lots about pup to teens this book helped me with my TILLY o

Is 15 months now my 1st cocker 1st birch only advice I can give is make sure

Each lesson is learned before moving on but most of all you will need a good sense of humour because there little stars

ENJOY

You have time to do as others have suggested and educate yourself before trying to educate your dog. Buy either the David Lisset or Hawcroft Gundogs (Simon Tyers) DVDs and watch them repeatedly before you get the pup.

Try and get out on shoots this season and watch the dog work; coupling what you see with what you learn from the DVDs should give you an understanding of not only what you want to achieve but also what you don't!

2nd simon Tyers DVD (Hawcroft Gundogs) he is a really good chap aswell I put a fellow pw member in touch with him and he sent his dog to a trainer that was friends with simon as he was to busy I am sure it was in Yorkshire contact cookie69 as it was his dog I am sure he won't mind

Edited by michufc

2nd simon Tyers DVD (Hawcroft Gundogs) he is a really good chap aswell I put a fellow pw member in touch with him and he sent his dog to a trainer that was friends with simon as he was to busy I am sure it was in Yorkshire contact cookie69 as it was his dog I am sure he won't mind

No I don't mind (-:

at the time Simon was flat out and highly recommend Tom Skelly

I have had several lessons with Tom and he is brilliant I can highly recommend him .

This link should have his contact details ,, good luck you won't be disappointed you chose a cocker (-:

http://amtoskgundogs.com/