How big is your hide?

fieldwanderer

Do you guys always put a sort of 1/2 roof on the hide, or just leave the top open, been building a hide for two of us to sit in and starting thinking really we need a bit of roof camo to cover the back of the hide, don't know if I'm been paranoid

Never used a roof only use a fishing brolly when it pours down but that soon gets taken down when the rain slows.

Do you guys always put a sort of 1/2 roof on the hide, or just leave the top open, been building a hide for two of us to sit in and starting thinking really we need a bit of roof camo to cover the back of the hide, don't know if I'm been paranoid

A roof is useful when out after crows but will limit your field of vision and arcs of fire!

I almost forgot I'd started this thread!

I've almost finished it but I'm not all that sure I'm all that keen;

I've used clearview net from A1 decoys, hide poles from ebay and waterproof camo material for the roof (and washing line poles to hold roof up, when in use). It's 1.5m square and 1.5m max height. The issue being the net is a bit too see thru :sad1: I'll be trying it out on Sunday but I've had it up in the garden and I can easily see the dog sat in it. I'll take my old "tank net" as a backup.

Pictures to follow :good:

O.k. Nearly there, just a bit of tweaking to do.

Still less than impressed with this new fangled hide material though, I was expecting to need to add a bit of foliage but to be honest I think it'll take more than that - I've yet to try it against a hedge or dark background though so I may be proved wrong yet. I was going to use it tomorrow, unfinished but it might point out any obvious flaws. Sadly, the dog's hurt one of her front legs so I've decided to let that sort itself out first - she's limping but I can't see anything obvious, I think she just twisted it or pulled something (she seems to be a bit prone to these things).

Anyway, as promised;

From behind; corners need finishing, I'm thinking velcro.

20150117_121937_zps06f4fafd.jpg

Front view; again, need to do something with the corners, not sure what though. the very front is double thickness but still pretty see through;

20150117_121913_zps87f5e113.jpg

O.k. Nearly there, just a bit of tweaking to do.

Still less than impressed with this new fangled hide material though, I was expecting to need to add a bit of foliage but to be honest I think it'll take more than that - I've yet to try it against a hedge or dark background though so I may be proved wrong yet. I was going to use it tomorrow, unfinished but it might point out any obvious flaws. Sadly, the dog's hurt one of her front legs so I've decided to let that sort itself out first - she's limping but I can't see anything obvious, I think she just twisted it or pulled something (she seems to be a bit prone to these things).

Anyway, as promised;

From behind; corners need finishing, I'm thinking velcro.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//

The hide is a bit odd. I'd lose the roof and get some better net for the front.

Edited by motty

The roof fabric would be better utilised by putting it around the poles behing the see through netting , just leave enough of the see through above it so you can see out when sitting down.

Sorry fen boy, didn't notice you'd replied. I agree to a certain extent but the whole point of the waterproof stuff was for wet weather as it's considerably lighter than a fishing brolly.

I'll try it at some point and see what needs doing. If it needs much, I'll just go back to the old net I think as I've spent way too much time and money on this idea as it is. Obviously, I don't want to add much more to it because the whole idea was to make it lighter than what I was using, with the bonus of not getting tangled up with fences, brambles and even the gun quite so much.

Edited by fieldwanderer

Fieldwanderer, I think the clue is in the name "CLEARVIEW" netting! :whistling:

It is useful for placing as the top 12" of your hide wall to allow easy viewing of the pigeons, but you MUST ensure you have a good backdrop to prevent you being silhouetted.

Good luck, I am sure you'll reach a happy compromise between weight carried and invisibility. :good:

The clearview is OK if you have a dark background and can keep yourself in the shade. If you set up in full sun then they are totally transparent. I have 2 stealth nets, 2 standard army camo nets and 2 lightweight fabric nets and use according to need. I do occasionally use a roof but only cover the back 1/3 rd of the hide. Use this to give me some shade or if birds coming from behind.

I've made a "mk2" version using the waterproof material all 'round but with windows of clear view in the front and sides. It's better but the clear view still let's it down I think. I'll give it a try anyway but will take my old net too. The advantage though is that it'll keep the wind off.

Like I said before, the roof won't normally be used, it's attached but only there for when it's needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently purchased the Clearview hide and have used it on about thee occasions. Each time I was careful to ensure I had a solid background. My verdict is that it's much easier to shoot from a clear view and and my brother and I were not seen except where birds approached high from the left ....we don't use a roof. I'm sure if I was to try setting up in the middle of the field I would have to revert to the solid netting certainly for the back & sides!