Any ideas on this?

bigbird

I am taking her to the vet's tomorrow by the way.

Just interested if anybody has any ideas on what this may be on my Springer's leg.

It's only on one leg (all other legs are completely normal) and she isn't worrying at it or chewing it which suggests it's not an allergy or an injury necessarily.

It started off as one scab but seems to have spread into several localised raised scabs (underneath the pink bits)

This spreading has been very rapid, something in the region of 3 weeks.

As I say, she is going to the vet's tomorrow but wondered if anybody's had experience of it. She's only 14 months old and is her normal self and isn't remotely lame on it.

Sorry about the pants picture - the left hand side is a 'naughty spot' where the hair is black anyway but underneath is raised.

post-52556-0-16041900-1420979772_thumb.jpg

Edited by bigbird

Never seen her do it which is why I thought not an allergy :/ she's not restless or uncomfortable looking in the slightest so I really don't know. She's with me almost 24/7 so if she were nibbling at it I'm sure I would have seen her :/

She is actually spoilt rotten, the other dogs are all outside in kennels - she's a princess lol. Unless she's working then she is a steam train,! Couldn't bear it if it was something sinister, the poor girl's been through enough in her short life so far.

Edited by bigbird

Could it be a flea allergy. Despite our lot being Frontlined monthly, they all came down with a flea epidemic last week. Taz had a bald scabby patch like that. Dosed them all with Nitenpyram tablets (cheapest version is Johnsons 4fleas) for instant kill and sprayed everywhere. Taz is clearing up now.

She could be agitating at it at night. You have to sleep sometime. :)

One of my labs got a scabby bit on a rear leg that spread and caused a bit of hair loss. Tried some Camrosa ointment (having been through many expensive but futile lotions, potions and tests with a previous lab with a skin condition) and it was sorted in a couple of weeks.

Ah nice one Will, I've got some somewhere I think. How come you're on PW? Thought you'd be VERY busy right now

Omg ignore that last comment it's all over!

Better than a hot water bottle, and it saves on the fuel bills.

"Put another dog on the bed its going to be cold tonight" :)

Haha love it!

I had something similar with a lab, first vet called it 'hotspots' and gave me some antiboitics and a scrub/wash which helped but didnae clean it up completely or came back as soon as pill finished when i went back got a different vet and he called in 'lab disease' had some hotspots on top of his head and a couple down his back and flaky skin, different antiboitics and cleared up no prob's, no sign since and that was Aug/Sept time and first times he's ever had it at 9 yr old

Depending wot it is but shaving/cutting hair round them might help if 'wet scabs' to get them to dry out

Had something similar with a Border terrier bitch. The vet identified them as bacterial hotspots, mainly an issue in summer. She cut the fur away from the area which had to be bathed a few times a day with Hibiscrub, and applied an anti bacterial cream which I think was Fucibet. Also a course of anti biotics. It also has the appearance of a flea bite allergy, but this would cause more irritation. You're taking the right course of action going to the vet, always worth a few quid for peace of mind.

Thanks guys. I can't get an appointment today but she's booked in first thing tomorrow.

Strange thing is, they don't seem to be bothering her at all, I've not seen her lick or worry at them at all!

Depending wot it is but shaving/cutting hair round them might help if 'wet scabs' to get them to dry out

Good idea, I'll do that now although they don't seem 'moist' at all :/:good: