wandering pheasants

Just a little bit of useless, but interesting information, one of the shoots I beat on released 5 white pheasants just as a bit of an experiment. Within a month they had wandered a few 1000m to the next door shoot owned by a good friend. Spoke to him today and he had a phonecall asking if he knew where 5 white pheasants had come from. This was on the far side of the next shoot, approximately 6 miles away across an A road! Just shows how far they will go, even when being fed!

Edited by kennett

• 2 weeks later...

funny how we all have different experiences with birds wandering

I got 5 white pheasants from hy-fly one got killed a few days after arriving into the release pen

but the other 4 stuck together like glue and never wandered more than 500 yards from the release point (wish I could say the same for the ordinary birds)

2 have been shot during the season, but the remaining 2 are still there

also a couple years ago I got 6 melanistic poults mixed in with a batch of ordinary poults

they did slowly wander away but in the same tight group of 6 birds, I was able to keep track of them

after the season they settled at a cottage garden feeding under the bird table approx. half mile from the original release point

one hen managed to successfully rear a healthy brood of melanistic offspring and some of them are still around the same cottage to this day