Which semi auto?

Psyxologos

i completely stripped and cleaned the 1301 last night.

baring in mind it had done 2 rounds of sporting, then been to GMK and had nigh on 200 shells put through it and i then took it our for a round of sporting on sunday. so all in all, its had around 400 shells through it (give or take).

took an hour to clean porperly, and by that i mean getting every last bit of carbon build up off of the piston and inside the piston sleeve, and also cleaning the ports.

usually its stripped, cleaned, oiled and back together in about 20 mins.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just came back from the gun shop with a synthetic Remington Versa Max 28'' barrel and 3' 1/2 chamber. It was £790 used (very lightly used, perhaps 200 rounds through it in three months of ownership) but it was better quality than the new one they had for £820 as it had a special anti slip coating on the forend and the underside and came with a few spare chokes, a hard case and a number of beads I can interchange. The new one had none of these. I admit I was tempted to buy the new one for that little diference in price, but handling both guns the one I bought felt much better. I tried a Maxus and an SX3 but the Versa Max felt better than these as it was a tad heavier and the stock was a bit higher which helps me see the bead better. I am also happy with the gas system Remington has. Much less components that the SX3, less recoil and easier to clean. I had a go and I took it all apart and cleaned it. It was a bit mucky, but after a relatively short time cleaning (as meticulously as I could, using toothbrushes, cotton swabs [the ones for ears] and a few oils and cleaners) it is rather sparkly and clean!

All in all happy!!!

I just came back from the gun shop with a synthetic Remington Versa Max 28'' barrel and 3' 1/2 chamber. It was £790 used (very lightly used, perhaps 200 rounds through it in three months of ownership) but it was better quality than the new one they had for £820 as it had a special anti slip coating on the forend and the underside and came with a few spare chokes, a hard case and a number of beads I can interchange. The new one had none of these. I admit I was tempted to buy the new one for that little diference in price, but handling both guns the one I bought felt much better. I tried a Maxus and an SX3 but the Versa Max felt better than these as it was a tad heavier and the stock was a bit higher which helps me see the bead better. I am also happy with the gas system Remington has. Much less components that the SX3, less recoil and easier to clean. I had a go and I took it all apart and cleaned it. It was a bit mucky, but after a relatively short time cleaning (as meticulously as I could, using toothbrushes, cotton swabs [the ones for ears] and a few oils and cleaners) it is rather sparkly and clean!

All in all happy!!!

Congratulations on the new gun!!!

All in all happy!!!

A good choice , I have been very happy with mine , my main gripe was the heavy (compared to beretta) trigger pull , but to be honest I do not notice it now .

I am still waiting for a jam after a couple of years and I am by no means anal about cleaning mine :lol: it just gets a quick wipe over when I have been down the marsh and a strip every 1000 cartridges or when I feel like it !

The cheaper new one you would have looked at must have been a versamax sportsman , it is a cheaper version , does not have the anti slip finish , less chokes , no spare beads and no soft comb insert.

Good look with your new gun.

A good choice , I have been very happy with mine , my main gripe was the heavy (compared to beretta) trigger pull , but to be honest I do not notice it now .

I am still waiting for a jam after a couple of years and I am by no means anal about cleaning mine :lol: it just gets a quick wipe over when I have been down the marsh and a strip every 1000 cartridges or when I feel like it !

The cheaper new one you would have looked at must have been a versamax sportsman , it is a cheaper version , does not have the anti slip finish , less chokes , no spare beads and no soft comb insert.

Good look with your new gun.

Exactly that. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction, by the way. There are a couple of things in the hard case that I do not know what they are, I might take a picture and PM you, if that's OK.

Congratulations on the new gun!!!

Thanks for all the advice.

Exactly that. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction, by the way. There are a couple of things in the hard case that I do not know what they are, I might take a picture and PM you, if that's OK.

Thanks for all the advice.

Yes sure , i am guessing one is a metal stock shim and the the other a small plastic rod !

Yes I was right :yahoo:

The metal one is a stock shim so you can alter cast and drop ,should be something in the manual .

The small plastic rod is a magazine plug , it can be dropped in the magazine tube to reduce magazine capacity to one cartridge , that is really for the American market as I believe in some states they can only hunt with one in the chamber and one in the magazine .

Yes I was right :yahoo:

The metal one is a stock shim so you can alter cast and drop ,should be something in the manual .

The small plastic rod is a magazine plug , it can be dropped in the magazine tube to reduce magazine capacity to one cartridge , that is really for the American market as I believe in some states they can only hunt with one in the chamber and one in the magazine .

thanks. I will have a look.

All in all happy!!!

Good choice they are a very nice gun, and everyone who I've spoken to that has one seems very happy with them!

Be safe, and have fun with the new gun :)

Thought the versamax was self cleaning and could fire a hundred thousand carts no problem.

Don't give it to much love,give it some stick instead.

correct on both counts ,it just works all the time like a decent auto should.

none of this running in nonsense just pull it out the box and shoot.

you'll be happy with it forsure.

had mine 18months and still waiting for a cycle fail .

brilliant simple design

Edited by Remimax

I had a beretta 303sporter but had to sell it to pay mortgage few years back when I lost my job , my luck changed and payed mortgage off ,I bought a Remington 11-87 second hand from dealers, took it back same day wouldn't work with any carts I tried, came home with a hatsan magnum in mossy oak absolute cracking gun ,don't be put off with wot people say about these, I stripped it today fully for the first time easiest one I've had to strip, fires 21g as well