Stage 1 - Scottish AirWEAPONS Bill - 23/04/15

saddler

Some interesting facts, add to these the knock on effect if certain politicians get their way. Cost of supporting people made jobless, cost of increased and uncontrolled predation of crops, cost of damage to land by rabbits and trees by grey squirrels. Cost of land management currently done by shooters, loss of revenue to the country the list could go on.

Have politicians done their homework, we are not talking about piddling amounts of money when the 'big picture' is looked at or are they determined to get their own way regardless.

I suspect it is the latter.

Shooters spend £2.5 billion each year on goods and services.

Shooting is worth £2 billion to the UK economy.

Shooting supports the equivalent of 74,000 jobs.

Shooting is involved in the management of two thirds of the rural land area.

Nearly 2 million hectares are actively managed for conservations as a result of shooting.

Shoot providers spend nearly £250 million on conservation.

At least 600,000 people in the UK shoot live quarry, clay pigeons or targets.

Existing industry information shows that there are at least 1.6 million individuals who shoot live quarry with an airgun.

Shooters spend 3.9 million work days on conservation, the equivalent of 16,000 full time jobs.

Full report can be seen here www.shootingfacts.co.uk

Edited by Sha Bu Le

90% of the responses to the public consultation around airgun licensing in Scotland was negative, including the response from the Police.

Yet the SNP tell us they are the most accountable and most representative of the parties and apparently almost half of the Scottish populace believe them.

It is amazing at what a bit of flag waving jingoism and the promise of a free lunch can achieve.

Scully you are bang on the money, facts and reality make not a jot of difference when there is a political agenda at play.

Hopefully a modicum of common sense and logic will prevail.

I would not bet anything of value on that outcome, given the Tories have opposed it then I expect the desire to pass the bill will be emboldened with spite.

Going off at a slight tangent the SNP objective to remove corroboration as part of pursuing prosecution was also thrown out by a judicial panel, but that won't stop them trying to force that through either.

It saddens me greatly the creeping loss of privilege.

These daft and pointless ideas spread like the plague,whatever happens in scotland will almost certainly make its way to england.

I agree it is a daft and pointless idea. Not entirely convinced it will come to England though - there are a number of laws in Scotland that haven't made it to England. We don't even have the same drink drive blood alcohol limit anymore. Additionally, Northern Ireland has had a different power level for airguns for years. I also don't think there is as strong an "anti-airgun" feeling down here in the South compared to up in Scotland. I'll keep an eye out though.

-Andrew