Can you help me value my gun?

Markbrowning

Hi all,

As titled, looking for your opinion please. I'm listing my gun up for sale, but wanted to run the price past you. I have listed it up twice before without too much success. I wanted to know if the price was right or if anything else is limiting its sale.

I bought it from Lads guns at the British shooting show a few years ago. Was bought as a bit of project gun, which I never got around to do. I have plenty of other guns, now would rather see this money but towards FAC projects.

Details:

Parker Hale 12b SxS - Side lock

28" Barrel

1/4 & 1/2 choked

Please see the pictures below:

1548825C-E009-4CAD-8970-5F4155EB6DBE_zps

AB7008FE-963E-4857-924C-12B75B2419B3_zps

3A637EFB-C235-400D-9C2D-678F4BA8A777_zps

E052796D-26C0-4937-ACAD-C1A1E383D473_zps

7429FEB9-3875-4538-9115-1C87B485D7EB_zps

1E4B4983-2D8C-427D-84D4-F75199694392_zps

22BA5968-94D0-48B0-8C3F-EF8DF29CCA12_zps

Good bits: It still shoots like a dream and the action is extremely tight, zero play in it. The ejectors are also extremely strong.It also hasn't long had a service.

Bad bits: As you can see a lot of the barrels bluing has gone, some light surface scratches to the stock. Also there is some pitting in the barrels. This initially did worry me, however lads guns put a barrel gauge down there and there was still loads of life still in it. Spanish guns come with very thick side walls. Forget the value now, but it effectively had around 80% thickness left before it would be considered as too low.

I listed it up for £295. Knowing its faults..... these guns being side lock and in good condition tend to go for £600. I thought it was priced right.

Please let me know your thoughts and what I should list it up for?

Many thanks,

Mark

Edited by Markbrowning

Would have thought it was a good buy at that price .

So would I, looks like a very nice gun to me, well worth spending a bit of money on. Have just texted a lad I know who's after a sxs, but he's probably out on the lash.

Have a look on GT for a similar gun as a price guide. Found a couple of PH's but both were box locks.

If the barrels where blued (£100) woodwork refinished (£100 on here) with pitted barrels you have a gun worth £350 tops . That imo makes this gun as is £150.

about right..........mate bought a 30" parker hale full and full..........top quality blueing on the barrels...what you would expect more on a london gun not a parker hale.....non-ejector................£150 quid........

There are loads of Spanish built Sidelocks around that sort of money-some in very good condition. Yours looks like the wood is varnished so that would need to be stripped back before staining and oiling-cheapest decent price I have found is £150 + postage both ways. Fine boring or lapping and blueing the tubes is going to add ,in my experience, another £230 so the total bill to make her good again is in the region of £380. Gunwatch has some very nice Sidelocks for the restoration price of yours-you can even pick up an English Sidelock for less if you shop around-if I were looking at buying your gun I would be thinking £150 would be fair but still not an economical buy for most.

I recently sold an AYA #4 BLE in much better condition for £250. Not to put a damper on your sale but personally, I wouldn't give much in it's present condition. You might have more luck if you tidied up the woodwork (it doesn't cost much to do a DIY timber strip/re-oil, maybe £20 plus your time?), tidied up the barrel bluing (under a tenner for some re-blue). Then, you'd maybe be looking at your asking price. Are you sure that's pitting and not just lead fouling? (sorry, dont mean to tell granny how to suck eggs but some people do confuse fouling with pitting). I think you'd be lucky to shift it for very much at all in its present condition. You can buy a nice used gun privately for £250 these days.

get around to doing it yourself...............as above said............take the trouble of having the barrells lapped out (not that expensive)......and pay to have a good blue done...the rest you can do yoursef......and i bet it would look a treat............

the only thing to do before you start....is to hook the barrell on your forefinger....then take the forend and LIGHTLY tap the barrels hanging on your forefinger ,....and it should ring like a bell.........if it goes...."Thunk"......the ribs are coming apart......then it can be used as a fencepost...

Edited by ditchman