Picked up a cracking tip the other day, thought I'd share

bigbird

You never stop learning! Some of the more more experienced of you may already know of this but it was a new one on me.

Had my vastly experienced friend here the other day and she showed me how to get a totally untouched youngster to go back a long way. This baby did 50 yards the first time! I suppose it was a sort of blind x seen - here's how she did it.

I had the aforementioned baby on a lead at the end of the field. She walked backwards, showed the dog she had a tennis ball and then touched / wiped it on the ground every couple of yards as she walked away in a straight line BUT not showing the dog she had it after the first time.

I had no clue where it was, nor did the dog. She told me to take the lead off and blow me this pup went out in a straight line, nose glued to the floor all the way back and then came back with the ball looking very pleased with herself.

Another trick for the dog training bag, I'm sure I'll use it at some point and I just thought I'd share it with you guys. So so obvious and so easy but not something I've seen done or heard of.

Hope it might help somebody else too if needed!

Edited by bigbird

Hmmmm.... sounds like a good way to get a dog hunting away from you as soon as you cast it off on a retrieve, rather than covering ground to a fall site then putting its nose down. Sorry Ali, don't fancy this technique much.

Hmmmm.... sounds like a good way to get a dog hunting away from you as soon as you cast it off on a retrieve, rather than covering ground to a fall site then putting its nose down. Sorry Ali, don't fancy this technique much.

:good:

Totally agree.

Hmmm there is that I suppose :/